Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Broken Odometer

ALFAMAX1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 2
Im sure the police have better things to do than go through peoples garages looking for evidence that they repaired their odometer.

It's been so long since I seen this thread. The point I was making, wasn't anything to do with cops going around checking people's odometers whilst their car was parked in their garages!

The second-hand parts dealers who refused to sell me the component based on either, their paranoia, or some sort of over-zealous social conscience was the point here. If they get caught doing it, it’s their ass, or so they told me anyway.

markc3012

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ss Commodore
The second-hand parts dealers who refused to sell me the component based on either, their paranoia, or some sort of over-zealous social conscience was the point here. If they get caught doing it, it’s their ass, or so they told me anyway.[/QUOTE]

Dont worry, if you want one they are for sale on EBAY
Just do a search

Cdsonic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8
Thankyou

Worked at treat now my speedo works again:thumbsup:

jashdown91

Jashdown?
Reaction score
live in ballina, thats near byron bay, everyone kn
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S1
umm yeah i know this thread is old, but i replaced that cog, with a brand new one, but my odometer still doesnt work, anyone to give me an idea why it still wont work..

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
umm yeah i know this thread is old, but i replaced that cog, with a brand new one, but my odometer still doesnt work, anyone to give me an idea why it still wont work..

did you put it in the right way around - thats what I did wrong the first time I did it.

jashdown91

Jashdown?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S1
did you put it in the right way around - thats what I did wrong the first time I did it.

yeah its the right way around, we turned the odometer motor and the dials turned, so its all working, which means it has to be something with the electronics. dont know where to look though.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah its the right way around, we turned the odometer motor and the dials turned, so its all working, which means it has to be something with the electronics. dont know where to look though.

In that case I'd look over the regulator for broken solder joints. If one othem fails the speedo will not work.

jashdown91

Jashdown?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S1
In that case I'd look over the regulator for broken solder joints. If one othem fails the speedo will not work.

yeah ahwell, ive bought a new cluster, the level 3 one with wiring harness and **** and ill just switch em over, hopefully it fixes the problem, if not, ill be a cranky young man.

svs_225144

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive Sedan 1991
Excellent work, in my tacho only one cog was broken and I fixed the problem. I ordered the small gear from Able instruments in Brisbane, those guys were fantastic sent me the gear in couple of days. It was very easy to open the tachometer and fix the problem.
Unfortunately while fixing this I stuffed up the speedometer, when I was putting the speedometer needle back (trying to set it to zero), the small pin went further inside the tacho and kept on moving inside on every attempt, and finally I can't install the needle. But the odometer was working fine, then I had to change to whole cluster ($50 from the wrecker) to get the speedo working. But I learnt a lot with this thread and thank a bunch for this.
Regards...

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah ahwell, ive bought a new cluster, the level 3 one with wiring harness and **** and ill just switch em over, hopefully it fixes the problem, if not, ill be a cranky young man.

If the loom is L3 you will have a few issues with the lights and rear demister. The A/C switch is wrong as the L3 loom is for climate control. Search "Trippin" to find the wire diagrams to mod your L2 loom with the bits from the L3 loom you need. PM me if you want some help.:thumbsup: