Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Broken Odometer

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
Check you dont have a busted tooth in the gears (from the broken cog) It should click over smooth with only a little resistance.

Cheers for that, I did not think of that lol

I clocked up about 30k's and it improved with less resistance now, so I will see how goes when I put it back in back in the car. This cog has been broken for some years so it might be the reason...

Thanks for your help :D

EDIT: All fixed now yippie :)

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Used this to replace my odo cog yesterday. Spun it manually for a couple of kms as suggested above. Tested it this arvo and it stopped after about 600 metres. :bang:

Pulled it out again reseated it and gave it about 15 kms of manual turning, put it back together and shazam...all good.

Thanks for the excellent How-To.

tom slick

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6 commodore sedan
odometer repair

First up a big thanks kopper69, a great post and one that will help many for years to come.
I purchased the replacement parts on Ebay for $20 delivered and followed your instructions
and found them to be very well laid out. Just for anyone who does attempt to do the same repair
the following may be useful...

when I purchased replacement gears I got both the big and small together.when I removed the
larger one (on the otherside of the smaller one)I almost broke it as it was flexible. thankfully I didnt
as the replacement was very hard and would not push onto the little guide peices or mounts (although
the holes were accurate) and so I replaced the original.
Also when I refitted everything I found the trip reset button did not work, so I pulled it out again
and found the reset button shaft has i little pouch end that had come off a little rod. refitted that
reinstalled unit again and now am back to a perfectly functioning odometer again.

Anyone who is not sure if they can do it, just take your time and dont rush. Set yourself up in a tidy and well lit table and have ago. Beleive me when I say Im not a mechanics rear end, but when the process is
so well explained even I could do it. In fact when I redone it the second time I felt like
a seasoned pro

spd_dmn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Exec, 5.0L BT1
good write up, very helpful. picked up the gear off ebay for $11. Odometer and trip meter both stopped working about 6mnths ago. Didnt worry me but then the fuel guage stopped working also and need at least one of them :/ ....got to the gear and only one cog was bent :S so much work for something so small. thanks for the how-to :)

MyVSWagonRocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Esteem Wagon
I bought my tiny little cog from a wrecker in Tweed Heads for $10.00. Excellent post kopper69, well written!

:beer chug:

peterwmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL Sedan
Just finished doing my odometer on my VS wagon, are the cogs meant to move a little jerky or are they supposed to revolve smoothly, mine are working but just move a little jerky?

Thanks

Peter

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Just finished doing my odometer on my VS wagon, are the cogs meant to move a little jerky or are they supposed to revolve smoothly, mine are working but just move a little jerky?

Thanks

Peter

Should rotate smooth. You may have a tooth in the speedo somewhere.

I have had a VP speedo just stop counting kms even with a new cog fitted. It would run a few kms and then stop. Pull it apart and as soon as I turned it over a little it wold be fine for .. not long.

peterwmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL Sedan
OK thanks, I guess time will tell, if it stops again, I'll look further into it!

VP-Hero

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina
In case anyones wondering, my vp has same problem, found the part online
HOLDEN FORD NISSAN NEW SPEEDO GEAR ODOMETER COG | eBay

6bucks free postage, not sure if its the right one, but it says so on the page, so fingers crossed

*** update

Ok i got it in the mail today, was expecting something the size of 10cent , 20 cent piece, its smaller than a 5 cent piece, good thing its f@(!n 6bucks delivered hahaha, man if i paid 14 for it, id be livid LOL , suckers

For VP drivers, you will need to unscrew the Steering wheel /ignition surround plastic and carefully manouver it off and out of the way.
I also found one of my screws retaining the instruments to the car just kept spinning, if one of yours does this, never fear, just mildly pull the unit off its back connection plugs ( you cant see them) Dont try n be like me prying it with a flatty, if one or both of your 2 tab screws spins on the spot try pulling it straight off the car , it worked for me .

Let me just add that the original author has circled a connection plug in the pic below,, directly in the center, the black thingy, but never mentions to disconnect it,

PLEASE DISCONNECT IT PEOPLE !!!

I was wondering why my odometer wasn't coming out and almost busted the connection cable, and to take it off you gently (coz its jammed) press down with a tiny flat head screwdriver on the arrow recessed in the center of it, and edge it out by its arrow with minor force . to put it back in you line it up and get it started with your fingers, then underneath the copper eletric sheet ( the bump) you can use the flathead and push hard inwards. hope this helps.

* Oh and to get the odometer motor off itself, you will need a tiny ( 3.5 mm thick phillips head screwdriver ) on one of the screws because a curved plastic piece is in the F#*@KN WAY!!! .

* also when seperating the odometer /speedo unit , make sure you skip taking off the needle step as mention on page 3, you don't have to ,
* and watch the SET tripometer black plastic part, it likes to get jammed if your unlucky on the way out of the whole unit, careful not to break it.

Seventh.jpg

Last edited: