Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Broken Odometer

VP-Hero

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina
Well i regret to inform you that, you DO have to take off the speedo needle if you want to manually wind the motor to see if everything is engaging
I Somehow installed the new cog upside down and back into the car, HAHAHAHAHAH ( NOT FUNNY )
and it didnt work, (SURPRISE)

So then i un did everything again, pulled out the speedo / odometer unit, pulled off the speedo dial with my thumb and fore finger, grab it at 180 degree's [either side ] and pull all ya got while holding behind it.
I then undid the two screws, i was examining the whole unit and after 10 minutes, realised i had the grey wheel with the two cogs upside down, so i reverse it and begin to try and rotate it, sure enough, the 2nd gear broke a tooth under load, so people, ........I...........strongly suggest........ BUY THE 2 cogs at once, coz the bigger black one was cheddar cheese aswell. , you probably dont have to undo the dial if you replace both cogs and make sure the black one goes towards the other 2 cogs and engages the trip cog and overall engine km odometer cog. and the small one everyones talking about along with the " ) " shaped counter weight lookin slotted piece of SH*T goes outward , and the small cog should touch the outter housing teeth ( clear plastic ) , this clears up some confusion about part orientation that hasn't been mentioned previously, dont be like me and not test the gearing system,

and to get the speedo dial back on properly u just loosely press it on and hold the dash cluster upright as if it was in the car, and if it sits directly on zero then press down hard and re check, other wise pry it off with your fingers again with the dial facing the sky and rotate it a little , press down gently, then hold it upright as if its in the car, if its dead on zero, press down harder, and WALLA.

God bless peoples

Last edited:

EHVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ v6
Just did this job. Fiddly but easy. Thanks to OP for a great thread and everyone else with their tidbits of info. For the record I left the speedo needle in place and just removed the circuit board as shown in OP's picture here http://users.tpg.com.au/adslv0x2/Ninth.jpg . If anyone is following the instructions to the letter, I had one variation. I have an acclaim which has a speedo alert. This also needs disconnecting like the other switches.

Finally make sure you have your radio PIN for when you connect the battery again.

iana57

Reaction score
Members Ride
stock VS 3.8L Auto
Big thanks to kopper69 for the walk-thru, only thing I did different was to drill a hole thru the clear plastic to get to the tricky screw and left the speedo needle on,
had 1 tooth broken (found it) wound the cogs over about 10ks, reset and repeated put it all back together and it works fine.

luke9420

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp excutive 3.8l manuel
hey just ive put in a 2nd hand speedo but the odomenter is working or the trip meter just wondering if i pull it apart and replace the cogs will that get both working again or just the odomenter ? might be the same thing idk

Ssambo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8 Sedan, VY 3.8 Wagon, VY SS 5.7 Sedan
Anyone know where you can get these cogs from in NZ? Mine need replacing too....dammit.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 V6 sedan
Old worn brittle rubber cogs (sun gear) for the odometer/ tripmeter and maybe, just maybe, worn weak motor cores, that are also aged by 20 years. That have lost field strength. Yet good luck trying to get them to sell you one.

Chris Schembri

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn ss
Hi guys - first time post

Hope someone can point me in the right direction. I have a vn ss just changed the cog in the odometer but it still doesn't work and have tried a second whole cluster and still not working but all other gauges and speedo work. Could it be an issue from the gearbox, or if the speedo works does that mean the gearbox attachment is working as it should?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
When fitted cog did you clean out broken teeth before fitting it? Try turning the cogs to see odometer is working before refitting it?

odo cogs can shatter when people push reset while car is moving...

Also some of the cogs sold on ebay are junk...bought mine from instrument shop in Blacktown near Pick & Payless.

*don't need to touch speedo face or needle if you drill small hole thrugh thick perspex at back of speedo for second screw.

Chris Schembri

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn ss
When fitted cog did you clean out broken teeth before fitting it? Try turning the cogs to see odometer is working before refitting it?

odo cogs can shatter when people push reset while car is moving...

Also some of the cogs sold on ebay are junk...bought mine from instrument shop in Blacktown near Pick & Payless.

*don't need to touch speedo face or needle if you drill small hole thrugh thick perspex at back of speedo for second screw.
Thanks for the reply.
I will have to disassemble and double check. But was just curious if the attachment on the gearbox could be an issue or would u say that if the speedo works the odometer should also work.

Thankyou

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If speed sensor or wiring issue you'd have speedo & odometer would not work.Electric speedo not cable driven.

Before you screw cover back on spin cogs to see odometer digits work smoothly.