Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Broken oil filter housing

Shane 3.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Omega sportswagon s2
Has anyone seen this before, explains alot.
Decided to strip down my sisters 2010 3.6 engine that was removed from her wagon. There was fragments of metal on cam sensors. Timing chain loose drivers side, rest looks good.
Has anyone seen a broken oil filter housing like this. I’m going to rebuild engine and may sell it unless there’s a way to put it in my 3l wagon.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Has anyone seen this before, explains alot.
Decided to strip down my sisters 2010 3.6 engine that was removed from her wagon. There was fragments of metal on cam sensors. Timing chain loose drivers side, rest looks good.
Has anyone seen a broken oil filter housing like this. I’m going to rebuild engine and may sell it unless there’s a way to put it in my 3l wagon.
Hi do you have any photos?

Shane 3.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Omega sportswagon s2

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 273

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks. That's a classic brittle fracture for a casting.
Should have added - looks like an impact damage. Someone hit it or an animal grunted it with a breaker bar.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Sometimes the oil filter top is tightened up way too much by novice mechanics or backyarders.
I would suggest that an excessively tightened top, would lead to too much force on the housing at some point, and if there is a weak point in the casting, that's likely to happen. Or someone had a socket and ratchet on there, just smacked the top with a hammer to try to loosen the top, and the housing broke.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sometimes the oil filter top is tightened up way too much by novice mechanics or backyarders.
I would suggest that an excessively tightened top, would lead to too much force on the housing at some point, and if there is a weak point in the casting, that's likely to happen. Or someone had a socket and ratchet on there, just smacked the top with a hammer to try to loosen the top, and the housing broke.
Yep - like he said. Either that or whacked the side of a breaker bar to loosen it up.
25 Nm is all it needs when it is tightened.