Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Broken part near the HVAC system

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawtyNate

In the feels.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well when i was putting my steering collum back in i found this part thats broken and sitting on the ground, it has broken off the box beside it, could i just glue it back on or would i need a new box?

Ill go take a pic off the vr i have as the vn is out at my machanics

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Which part is broken? The plastic piece that holds the threaded rod?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
its a replaceable clip. if i had a spare id send you one, this one is for the red project. last time i was at the wreckers i just grabbed the whole piece rod and all... it pops open on a hinge, the other pic is it open.. id just dab some super glue on it and click it back into place, it locks in.

IMG_3895_zpse36bd77a.jpg

IMG_3890_zps39f7173c.jpg

ShawtyNate

In the feels.
Reaction score
Members Ride
The actual hole piece with a bit of the plastic from where its screwed into broke off

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
just get the whole piece then, its only that one screw with a washer holding it on, piss easy... plastic trinkets are freebies at the wreckers too.

ShawtyNate

In the feels.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Where it screws into it on the back black bit on the heater box is broken off

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
Since it's all totally hidden just come up with some sort of little bracket, or a piece of timber or plastic that can screw to the original black part and then the white part can screw to the bracket.....if ya catch my drift. Think outside the square, you basically want something fixed there you can screw into, so create something fixed.

Or depending on how much of the black part is broken off, use a longer screw/bolt or relocate the white thing forward or backwards a bit?

Or just set it to hot in winter and cold in summer and be done with it.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
wow ... ok thought the white part was broken.

ok heres what to do (or heres what i always do). get some windscreen grade black urethane, get your piece thats broken off and scuff that with a scotch brite abrasive pad. give the broken pieces and the bonding surface of the box itself a good key with the abrasive pad. then apply some urethane in and around the pieces and box, you can even build a mountain around it (be mindful of where and how the white piece needs to move, dont hinder it with urethane) put a piece of masking tape over it to hold it in place and wait 24 to 48 hours. urethane is better than any hard glues because it never goes hard, its flexible it will never crack off again.

for an even better hold clean all the surfaces with a paint thinner or wax and grease remover before applying the urethane.

ive done heaps of plastic stuff like this, works really well. both plastic bar sliders on my vp front bumper are adhered the same way. there never coming off.

franklinfrog's way would work too...

Status
Not open for further replies.