Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Broken Rear Shock Mount Bolt

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by Phillbert, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Phillbert

Phillbert Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SV6, VS L67 Ute, VS Statesman
    Hi guys i was changing the rear springs, when i tightened the rear shock mount bolt it broke off :( .
    What is the best way to sort it out? Only thing i can think off is to grind the old one off and weld a new bolt of some type back on there.

1.jpg
    2.jpg

2. Heavy VT

Heavy VT New Member

Members Ride:
    Vt V6
    Cut the whole boss off and weld on a new one from another car or grind the remaining part of the thread flat and drill and tap the boss to recieve a bolt.

Phillbert likes this.
  3. rambunctious

rambunctious Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Wagon
    I would just weld the new bolt on.

And while I know it going to be welded, I would go with a hi tensile bolt and cut the head off with a grinder, or, at least grind the head down so the shockie will still go over the weld.
    That way the original boss is doing it's job and don't do the nut up so bloody tight:(

PITA I know but easiest way I believe

And disconnect the battery before welding !!!!!!!!!!

4. immortality

immortality Can't live without smoky bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    Drill and tap a hole. Put in a bolt with loctite and cut off the head. Or just drill and tap and use a bolt/washer to secure the shock. Either will work.

lmoengnr and vs-lover like this.
  5. vs-lover

vs-lover Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
    Yes I strongly agree with what Immortality has suggested and drill and tap a new thread and insert a new bolt using Loctite to secure it in, then cut the head off the bolt.

6. Trevor loves holden.

Trevor loves holden. Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    Buy a high tensile bolt and drill a hole stepping up the size as you go, but first cut off the left over, then cut the hex off the bolt and push it into the hole you drilled and weld it into place, no need to remove battery just have a earth point going to ground next to where your welding, I use a chain and hang it over, if you don't have a welder or tap set then get 2-3 roller pins and drill it thru the boss and new bolt and hit them in and cut them and file them to the curve of the boss.

7. rambunctious

Members Ride:
    VZ Wagon
    Trevor, you have put up some good points over time but I question your idea of not disconnecting the battery.
    Before alternators there were generators on cars and when alternators came in we were told in no uncertain terms to disconnect the battery when welding or the diodes could burn out in the alternator.
    These days with computers I would think disconnecting the battery would be a given.

As to hanging a chain, to get a decent earth to ground you would need to dig down to the wet earth approx 600mm plus deep before getting a decent earth.
    Just saying.

8. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Don't need to disconnect the battery when welding as long as you have your earth lead close to the work - i.e. not at the front of the vehicle when you're welding at the rear of the vehicle.

Remember that the boss is solid for a reason. Drilling into it will undoubtedly weaken it, potentially resulting in failure later on (although would definitely work). In an ideal world you'd weld a new boss on if competent or replace the control arm.

Skylarking and losh1971 like this.
  9. immortality

immortality Can't live without smoky bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    Drill and tap is probably stronger than a backyard weld unless you are a decent welder.

10. woteva

woteva NEED 4 SPEED

Members Ride:
    VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
    Oh crap, not an easy fix.
    I would be worried about being able to hand drill a straight hole in the centre of the boss without it going oversize and then have not much thread left when tapping is done. I would recommend only drilling in a drill press.
    Welding any suspension would require a decent 3 phase welder to get the correct penetration.
    The 3rd option would be to swap diff housing. This would be the no hassles way to fix for those who are not confident in welding or drilling and tapping. I would be doing this if I was going to keep the car.

Lex likes this.
  11. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Swapping the housing would be the best option but also most expensive. Its around $600 to set up a diff, not including the LSD if that needs doing as well. I would have it welded by a professional or some very good at welding. Getting the diff housing in a drill press would be a nightmare but yeah hand drilling would require a jig to keep the bit centered and straight.
    I assume its a beam axle?

Skylarking likes this.
  12. Phillbert

Phillbert Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SV6, VS L67 Ute, VS Statesman
    Thanks for all the replies guys

I might have a go first at cutting off the excess thread and try drilling a new hole to tap
    If that doesn't work (as said being able to hold the drill properly) I might try cutting the whole thing off and weld a bolt from from the back side of the bracket.
    I have a Very Good welder mate but with these new laws he can't cross the boarder to do the job. I live on the Qld/NSW border

I really really don't want to swap the whole diff out or take it out for that matter lol.

losh1971 likes this.
  13. Trevor loves holden.

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    Car isn't turned on so no issue, Never had a issue if you want remove the earth lead then do so, I use a 12inc tent peg and drive it into the soil, But I imagine he has a jack or car stand all ready providing a good ground, long as u put the clamp close to your welding point on this case on the boss u be fine. If I was welding close to the battery then I would remove the battery.
    I would just cut off the remanning thread and drill it out just over 3/4 in with a 12mm bit stepping it up 3mm each go. get a 150mm high tensile bolt and cut the unthreaded part to length push it in then drill 2 holes through the centre of boss to take a 5mm roll pin, no welding no special tools.

14. Trevor loves holden.

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    BS, a 2 phase be plenty enough to get a good strong weld, I can use a 5mm arc rod on my cig weld machine but 3.5mm be plenty good enough just buy decent arc rods like boc or weldall.

15. Trevor loves holden.

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    Don't do that. The boss is the right diameter. A bolt be a weak set up.

16. woteva

woteva NEED 4 SPEED

Members Ride:
    VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
    Never seen a 2 phase welder in Australia and I have NF01 and NF02 welding certs and did production welding for many years.
    Backyard arc welding on a suspension mount will not be strong enough and end up leaving you stranded.

losh1971 likes this.
  17. rambunctious

Members Ride:
    VZ Wagon
    A single phase welder will be fine however, to use a single you need to get the car close to the house power point so as to not have to connect the welder via an extension cord as this drops the welding power.
    Having said that, why not phone around for someone to come out and weld it.
    Get the bolt and get it cut and set up drilled into the boss then send them a pic on your phone.Ask how much.
    If you were on the Sunshine Coast I would have it welded by now.
    I am sure in these times someone advertising welding would be happy to come out and do the job as a quick cashie.
    Just practice social distancing.

18. the_boozer

the_boozer no more VK

Members Ride:
    Prado
    415 single phase ark there used to be heaps of them around when I was an apprentice since inventor technology showed up haven't seen one in over 15 years , my single phase tig will go up to 200 amps, I reckon I can ark weld pretty good I have a piece of paper that says I can anyway I wouldn't feel good about arking that I would if there was no other machine around, I wouldn't trust gasless mig when it has to be strong but as its a suspension component would it be legal to weld it? Id probably cut it off flat drill and tap then run a bead of tig or mig around it if the tread you tap is good lock tight would probably do it with out welding it.

19. vs-lover

vs-lover Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
    It's amazing how many different opinions are out there on this one.

Like I've always said "opinions are like arseholes, everyone got one".

20. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Many industrial welders are 2 phase or 480V. My welder (BOC Smootharc advanceII 250a inverter mig/mma) can be used at 240, 415 or 480V. The amperage is limited to 180a when used with a single phase 240v 15a outlet. The full 250a is available when using 415 or 480V power sources.

Mine is connected to 2 phase 480V as I don't have access to 3 phase in my area. 2 phase is commonly referred to as 'farm power' around here.

Trevor loves holden. likes this.