Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Broken Rear Shock Mount Bolt

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Swapping the housing would be the best option but also most expensive. Its around $600 to set up a diff, not including the LSD if that needs doing as well. I would have it welded by a professional or some very good at welding. Getting the diff housing in a drill press would be a nightmare but yeah hand drilling would require a jig to keep the bit centered and straight.
I assume its a beam axle?

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Thanks for all the replies guys

I might have a go first at cutting off the excess thread and try drilling a new hole to tap
If that doesn't work (as said being able to hold the drill properly) I might try cutting the whole thing off and weld a bolt from from the back side of the bracket.
I have a Very Good welder mate but with these new laws he can't cross the boarder to do the job. I live on the Qld/NSW border

I really really don't want to swap the whole diff out or take it out for that matter lol.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Trevor, you have put up some good points over time but I question your idea of not disconnecting the battery.
Before alternators there were generators on cars and when alternators came in we were told in no uncertain terms to disconnect the battery when welding or the diodes could burn out in the alternator.
These days with computers I would think disconnecting the battery would be a given.

As to hanging a chain, to get a decent earth to ground you would need to dig down to the wet earth approx 600mm plus deep before getting a decent earth.
Just saying.
Car isn't turned on so no issue, Never had a issue if you want remove the earth lead then do so, I use a 12inc tent peg and drive it into the soil, But I imagine he has a jack or car stand all ready providing a good ground, long as u put the clamp close to your welding point on this case on the boss u be fine. If I was welding close to the battery then I would remove the battery.
I would just cut off the remanning thread and drill it out just over 3/4 in with a 12mm bit stepping it up 3mm each go. get a 150mm high tensile bolt and cut the unthreaded part to length push it in then drill 2 holes through the centre of boss to take a 5mm roll pin, no welding no special tools.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Welding any suspension would require a decent 3 phase welder to get the correct penetration
BS, a 2 phase be plenty enough to get a good strong weld, I can use a 5mm arc rod on my cig weld machine but 3.5mm be plenty good enough just buy decent arc rods like boc or weldall.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
BS, a 2 phase be plenty enough to get a good strong weld, I can use a 5mm arc rod on my cig weld machine but 3.5mm be plenty good enough just buy decent arc rods like boc or weldall.
Never seen a 2 phase welder in Australia and I have NF01 and NF02 welding certs and did production welding for many years.
Backyard arc welding on a suspension mount will not be strong enough and end up leaving you stranded.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
A single phase welder will be fine however, to use a single you need to get the car close to the house power point so as to not have to connect the welder via an extension cord as this drops the welding power.
Having said that, why not phone around for someone to come out and weld it.
Get the bolt and get it cut and set up drilled into the boss then send them a pic on your phone.Ask how much.
If you were on the Sunshine Coast I would have it welded by now.
I am sure in these times someone advertising welding would be happy to come out and do the job as a quick cashie.
Just practice social distancing.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
415 single phase ark there used to be heaps of them around when I was an apprentice since inventor technology showed up haven't seen one in over 15 years , my single phase tig will go up to 200 amps, I reckon I can ark weld pretty good I have a piece of paper that says I can anyway I wouldn't feel good about arking that I would if there was no other machine around, I wouldn't trust gasless mig when it has to be strong but as its a suspension component would it be legal to weld it? Id probably cut it off flat drill and tap then run a bead of tig or mig around it if the tread you tap is good lock tight would probably do it with out welding it.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
It's amazing how many different opinions are out there on this one.

Like I've always said "opinions are like arseholes, everyone got one".

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Never seen a 2 phase welder in Australia and I have NF01 and NF02 welding certs and did production welding for many years.
Backyard arc welding on a suspension mount will not be strong enough and end up leaving you stranded.
Many industrial welders are 2 phase or 480V. My welder (BOC Smootharc advanceII 250a inverter mig/mma) can be used at 240, 415 or 480V. The amperage is limited to 180a when used with a single phase 240v 15a outlet. The full 250a is available when using 415 or 480V power sources.

Mine is connected to 2 phase 480V as I don't have access to 3 phase in my area. 2 phase is commonly referred to as 'farm power' around here.