Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Broken

EmmY957

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VS Executive
So up at the crack of dawn this moring in the FREEZING cold started the commy which took longer than usual (i thought due to the coldness) atempted to turn at the top of my street n the whole car sorta spat, n jerked forward n rumbled around then turning out of another street it did the same but on flat, then as i was going up a hill it got worse so i pulled over, i turned the car off n then thought ohh maybe its 2 cold so i was gunna let it idle little did i know it kept shaking n just died out completely.

so just a few things one... has any1 elkse had this problem??
two....what could it be??
ive been told i might have run out of peterol (embarassing yes but i thought i had more left than i actually did)
or the spark plug cord or something has come loose.

Thanks

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
from that description there are a fair few things is could be, but the end result seems like either a lack of either fuel or spark. first thing I would look as is fuel level. that's the easiest and cheapest to fix. next would be spark leads and maybe plugs. plugs should be changed every 10,000km max if you're finicky like myself. leads are supposed to last somewhere between 40-100,000 depending on the brand, but if they're fairly old or you don't know the car's history prior to you buying it I would change them. try these 3 first, if they have no effect someone else will jump in before I can get back online

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
also have a look at your coil packs, they may be cracked

EmmY957

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VS Executive
ok went back 2 my car with petrol & put some in & it started straight away!! fairly embarassing but i think my fuel gauge is stuffed. getting it serviced on the weekend hopefuly & im gunna chuck some cylinder cleaner through the petty aswell.

what cylinder cleaners do you guys use or what is one of the good ones?

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
fuel level guages do die sometimes..... don't be too embarrassed
cylinder cleaner? do you mean injector cleaner? it's personal choice what you go with, some people recommend brands like Nulon etc, and some swear by holden top end cleaner (I think that's what it's called anyway) and some others again say they're all a waste of money.
personally I use Nulon total fuel system cleaner every service (5000-7500km depending on how much city vs highway driving) and premium unleaded every 5-6th tank

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
ok went back 2 my car with petrol & put some in & it started straight away!! fairly embarassing but i think my fuel gauge is stuffed. getting it serviced on the weekend hopefuly & im gunna chuck some cylinder cleaner through the petty aswell.

what cylinder cleaners do you guys use or what is one of the good ones?

If you are looking for an Upper Cylinder Cleaner, you can't go past the Subaru stuff. It's an aerosol, and you just spray it in through a vacuum line, such as the brake master cylinder one. Really good for getting rid of all the carbon and other crap stuck to the valves etc.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Big data sheet to run through. There used to be another product that did the same. Not sure if it was a Wynns product. Makes the exhaust smoke like a bastard. Ive never used it. My father told me about it when he was around. I have pulled a few heads off and they really haven't been overly carboned up. I suspect if a lot of oil burning was happening then there would be some reasonable amount of build up.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I know this thread is an old rebirthed one, but I'm just wondering if the return line feeding the swirlpot inside the tank had broken as that makes it rather hard at times to pick up fuel from a lowly levelled fuel tank.