Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brothers Daily Driver/ Project

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
haha looks like my vn, imperial blue with paint missing all over it

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
attachment.php

New rotors and gear.

attachment.php

The inside of the old bonnet lol, and if you look at the earlier pics in this thread you can see the outside is just as bad.

attachment.php

New bonnet, in the Midst of fitting, and the latch locked inplace by accident lol.

attachment.php

Fitted, has been aligned properly since photo.

attachment.php

Just another angle/shot.

Attachments

• PB290002 (Small).JPG
    PB290002 (Small).JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 260
  • PC150002 (Small).JPG
    PC150002 (Small).JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 259
  • PC150003 (Small).JPG
    PC150003 (Small).JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 252
  • PC150005 (Small).JPG
    PC150005 (Small).JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 281
  • PC150006 (Small).JPG
    PC150006 (Small).JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 274

89berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Berlina
Looks good, except for the bonnet. Sorry, Im abit fussy when it comes too paint. Is there a clear coat on it? If there is, I'd suggest wet sanding it with 1200 grit wet 'n' dry and going over it with rubbing compound and polish. It'll make it come out real nice. I sprayed my old 1988 Subaru with a Metallic gold and clear coat and it turned out real nice after abit of sanding and polishing. Here are some pics:

56297d1229347397-brothers-daily-driver-project-before.jpg
56296d1229347397-brothers-daily-driver-project-after.jpg

Attachments

• After.jpg
    After.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 258
  • Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 246

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Looks good, except for the bonnet. Sorry, Im abit fussy when it comes too paint. Is there a clear coat on it? If there is, I'd suggest wet sanding it with 1200 grit wet 'n' dry and going over it with rubbing compound and polish. It'll make it come out real nice. I sprayed my old 1988 Subaru with a Metallic gold and clear coat and it turned out real nice after abit of sanding and polishing. Here are some pics:

Yeah the bonnet came out **** house. No idea what went wrong, everything we did was even, i.e sanding, paint light etc. But the clear coat has only made it glossy on one side, and the rest is rough. Als very patchy like light and dark patches. Up close you can see heaps of scratches aswell.... Needless to say its on there because the old one was drawing alot of police attention which he doesnt need, so the new one has been fitted for the time, and we will source another and paint it up.

Good work on your Subby to, came up nice.

89berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Berlina
Yeah the bonnet came out **** house. No idea what went wrong, everything we did was even, i.e sanding, paint light etc. But the clear coat has only made it glossy on one side, and the rest is rough. Als very patchy like light and dark patches. Up close you can see heaps of scratches aswell.... Needless to say its on there because the old one was drawing alot of police attention which he doesnt need, so the new one has been fitted for the time, and we will source another and paint it up.

Good work on your Subby to, came up nice.

Thanks mate :thumbsup: Sold the Subby about 6 months ago for $2500 and then bought the commodore. If its a metallic paint I think I have an idea on your problem. What you have to make sure you do with Metallic is spray it in one direction only and keep a constant movement when painting. If you hesitate or stop when when spraying it will make it patchy because the metallic flakes in the paint will bunch up. Also the metallic flakes in the paint fall a certian direction so if you cross the flakes over it gives a rough look and the uneven patches. In otherwords you have a certain grain you have to follow when spraying Metallic. You cant overlap over your strokes at all or go over your original stroke in the opposite direction. Dont feel disheartened though because its very hard to spray Metallic and I guess its better than a rusty bonnet. Well I posted a picture showing what I mean because its hard to explain. Hope this helps if you plan on doing it again :p

Attachments

• Painting.bmp
    174.8 KB · Views: 226

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Thanks mate :thumbsup: Sold the Subby about 6 months ago for $2500 and then bought the commodore. If its a metallic paint I think I have an idea on your problem. What you have to make sure you do with Metallic is spray it in one direction only and keep a constant movement when painting. If you hesitate or stop when when spraying it will make it patchy because the metallic flakes in the paint will bunch up. Also the metallic flakes in the paint fall a certian direction so if you cross the flakes over it gives a rough look and the uneven patches. In otherwords you have a certain grain you have to follow when spraying Metallic. You cant overlap over your strokes at all or go over your original stroke in the opposite direction. Dont feel disheartened though because its very hard to spray Metallic and I guess its better than a rusty bonnet. Well I posted a picture showing what I mean because its hard to explain. Hope this helps if you plan on doing it again :p

AHHHHHHHHHHHH..... That makes sense, we sure did over lap strokes lol. We went back and forth, and occasionly did 1 coat in the other direction (90 degrees), so that would explain it lol.
This is our first time do any sort of painting so its all a big learning curve, and at the end of the day the car looks better then it did, and if we have to do somethings twice we dont mind.

Not disheartened at all mate, I appreciated all advice, tips, anything that will help us in anyway.

Cheers.

89berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Berlina
Good to hear that I can help. Keep up the work :thumbsup: Always great to see a VN being brought back to life

88VNExec

88-Exec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
Looks good mate, seems to be the same colour as my VN.

I've heard spraying in Metallic is a real pain .. I might just give mine a respray in 2-pack, great paint to work with.

You're doing a great job considering its a daily and can't be taken off the road =)