Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brought Seats with side airbags. my car didnt come with them. should i remove them

jip123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Equipe S2
I brought some vz sv6 seat for my vx. the seats have side airbags in them but my cars old seat didnt have them. should i remove them as the plug is not connect to anything? or should i leave them in. and they shouldnt randomly deploy on me as hey are not connected.

scott-95

Reaction score
Members Ride
Daily VE SV6 & L67 Manual Pig.
They will not deploy if not plugged in.. if you try plug them in via say the steering wheels one they will proably go boom and you can take them out if you wish but no point..

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
I had the same issue when i installed vz calais seats jn my vy. I had the airbags earthed so they wouldnt build any static, as this is what causes them to randomly deploy.

jip123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Equipe S2
How did you earth them?

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
I had Greg from ASR audio earth the seats, as I already had him running wires for the controls on the Calais passenger seat controls. Sorry I cant provide much info, I might have a look and see If I can spot the earths, IF so ill put a photo up.

jip123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Equipe S2
doesnt matter to much. it looks like the airbags are bolted to a metal plate in the seat, which as being part of the seats metal frame would earth the airbag out

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
You don't have the 4 airbag modual so there won't be the option to connect them.
You could maybe ad that and use the 4 airbags. I'm 99% sure all you will need is the modual under the centre console.

jip123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Equipe S2
there is no connection on the car side. i can run a passenger airbag as the wiring is there for it. but im not worried about conecting them i just wanna know forsure that having them just disconnected wont cause them to deploy. because to remove them from the seat wont be an easy job :/

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
It takes a hell of a crash to set them off anyway. You really can't guarantee they will never shoot off on you, with that much force built up airbags can pop with age. Its like a disclaimer - this could happen we then don't take responsibility if it may deploy for reasons set above etc. It's like that. But chances of an airbag deploying when not connected especially to power of anytype are close to zero. Don't worry to much about them enjoy the comfort:).

jip123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Equipe S2
True. they aren't connected to anything. they are only from a 05 sv6 so not too old. i've never ever seen the side airbags deployed in a vt to vz commodore even when hit in the side. anyway if i remove them ill need to build something to fill its space like on the other side has a hard form support. also i've airbags stored in the shed which haven't deployed soo yea. and btw i asked holden today and they well the guy i spoke to said rip them out :/ as there was cases where they would come loose inside the seat not ground and deploy. argh its a pain to remove them and its a pain thinking they would deploy. if im 99
% sure they wont deploy i can leave them alone and stop breaking those dam clips

Last edited: