Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brown liquid under coolant cap, along with sludge build up

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Radiator swap was sufficient. No coolant entered transmission.
The transmission fluid would be under a higher pressure than the coolant so as long as you catch it quick enough the transmission can be saved.

turbovich

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
The transmission fluid would be under a higher pressure than the coolant so as long as you catch it quick enough the transmission can be saved.
This is true . I neglected to mention that I cooked my transmission while pinpointing issue. So one transmission, one valley gasket and one radiator later....ALL GOOD.!

altonarona

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 V6 Berlina Wagon
This is true . I neglected to mention that I cooked my transmission while pinpointing issue. So one transmission, one valley gasket and one radiator later....ALL GOOD.!
Yeah what you said about it being the radiator ended up being the case. I pulled the old radiator out which looked fine but after using a new radiator the issue has gone away. Only a tiny bit of residual crap floated back which I cleaned out cause I didn't do a full coolant flush. So far it seems like the transmission is okay so hopefully I caught it early enough. Just lucky that I'm a bit paranoid and check the fluids whenever I fill up for petrol.

Reactions: Lex

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
LIM Gaskets, Every time,

The Radiator is only clean because its new,
But Wait, there is more,
Check in a couple of days, it will look like nothing has been changed !

Maybe after 3 months, it will look a bit better.

To get all the crap out, you will need to flush it numerous times.

turbovich

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
Yeah what you said about it being the radiator ended up being the case. I pulled the old radiator out which looked fine but after using a new radiator the issue has gone away. Only a tiny bit of residual crap floated back which I cleaned out cause I didn't do a full coolant flush. So far it seems like the transmission is okay so hopefully I caught it early enough. Just lucky that I'm a bit paranoid and check the fluids whenever I fill up for petrol.
You check ALL fluids everytime you fill up ?? Wow. I'd safely say your trans is fine. You'd know by now.
Not interested in anyone's thoughts, but I flushed my system by removing thermostat and adding a bit of dish soap to water. Ran that , turned on heater etc for a bit then reversed flush blah blah etc. Oils will float to top of block, heater and any other nook or cranny. Clean as now. And so it should be !!

altonarona

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 V6 Berlina Wagon
LIM Gaskets, Every time,

The Radiator is only clean because its new,
But Wait, there is more,
Check in a couple of days, it will look like nothing has been changed !

Maybe after 3 months, it will look a bit better.

To get all the crap out, you will need to flush it numerous times.

It was only a small amount i drained the engine oil coolant and trans fluid to check conditions of all and look for water. Done about 2000kms with new radiator and coolant looks great. Before it would of had a thick film of that yellowy paste sludge build up.