Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

budget 304 build ?

ST8OOH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice
hey guys currently doing up a VQ and just want some info on what to do with the motor.The motor is out of the car, heads and manifold are off and im not sure where to go from here.Im not after huge HP just a strong reliable engine and i dont want anything machined.I was thinking of just replacing rings and bearing,new gasket ket,new valves,solid lifters,new timing chain,roller rockers,valve springs and a nicer cam.any advice on what to do would be good.thanks

ST8OOH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice
how much do u think all that would be around $1200 ?

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
depending on the kays and condition of motro you really need to check your bores and pistons no point reringing them if theyre stuffedi think cheapest budget engine for good power is using a race series rebuild kit you gain some compression which always helps when making power and adding a cam

H1GHROLLR

CHEMICALLY SUPERCHARGED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX CLUBSPORT R8 LS1
if your going to build a cammed motor you should just do some basic machine work and new pitons at least its peace of mind . . . with hot motors i think we have all learnt not to cut corners it will come back and bite you

ST8OOH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice
so if im going to go to a motor builder and get a qoute what should i ask to get done ?

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
if your going simple with a race series rebuld kit you want a bore & hone deck of the block. depending on crank condition you might need it reground and linished. Heads you could leave but i recommend at leAst a light surfacing job and the valves faced and lapped in or recut if you want to spend the cash