Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Budget System - Help

Josheh

Soon to be Boater
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
SOLD - VX, Now have MY14 CRUZE
FORGET THIS POST, READ BOTTOM PLEASE

Hey guys, Just got rid of my old Fusion 10" "Tube" Amp / Sub Pack thing, Most people should know what they are.... Heres a link if you don't / Or want info to tell me if the amp / subs i am looking at would be better.... And how much better. I've already got a new double din dvd screen headunit, So I don't need a headunit, Just sub / amp hopefully.

Talk Audio - Fusion EN-AT1100

Anyway, Not too much of a sound junkie, Just want better than standard Audio in my VX Spac, It has standard speakers in the front doors and rear doors, And want Something that will sound better than my old tube, A little more powerful.....

At the moment, I only want too spend 400 Max, "I know someone who will install, Don't need to worry about that" I know $400 isn't really much, But for what I'm after and having some pretty decent improvements to just the front and rear door speakers, Can someone tell me if either of these 3 packs are any good?

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/images/2010/04/JB-AU-20100323-514_01.png

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/images/2010/04/JB-AU-20100323-514_02.png

Kicker - KICKPACK SUB & AMP COMBO | Car Sound, Subwoofers : JB HI-FI

At the moment they're on special from JBHIFI for 300ish, I want to be locally and not online as well...

Any idea if they're decent? What one would be better? Any idea if they'd come with a wiring kit or anything? How would sub control work? With my Fusion Tube i got this little knob turning thing I could control with that....

I could also get something like this: Audioline - AL12D 12 INCH BOXED SUBWOOFER (double) | Car Sound, Subwoofers : JB HI-FI But that'd only leave me with 100ish on an Amp..... Hmm: Audioline - AZX2002 2 CHANNEL POWER AMP | Car Sound, Car Amps : JB HI-FI... So for 350ish I could get that double sub thing, with this amp? I know stuff sometimes isn't powerful enough so that's why I'm here asking.

Please ask me questions if need be, I'll reply as soon as possible, Thanks for your help... Any other recommended combo packs or anything?

P.S. I wasn't even wanting to do anything, I'm just so sick of there being no bass in my dance / techno music, So ACDC sounds alright, then Another song which would have bass comes on and will sound crap house.... I'm sure a Sub and Amp would level it all out better.

Also, Another question:

When installing my Tube, The amp and sub are both in 1 tube and you just plug the cables into the amp part, run it too your headunit and that was it, Just wondering if the amp / sub is anything different? I'm guessing it's pretty straight forward? Sub connects too amp, Amp then has wires going to head unit and done?

P.S. Yes I've researched in that holdenboy's thread, I still don't understand fully n would rather someone just explain about the items I've shown as If I base myself off other peoples setups Somehow I'm going to fail and blow my car up.

Last edited:

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
I'll check out those packs now, but i'll tell you quickly that you will need to run a power cable through the cabin, through the firewall into the engine bay and connect it to the battery, sand back and earthing point in the boot and run rca's plus a remote wire from the head unit to the amp.

EDIT:
I would go with kicker or cadence, in my opinion they are as good as each other though maybe kicker is more well known..

Are you after more low down loud bass? if so go for kicker with the ported box

Or if you are after a bit tighter responsive bass go with the cadence in the sealed box.

Also don't forget money for wiring!

Josheh

Soon to be Boater
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Thank you for your reply.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by tighter bass, Low down loud bass etc etc mate? And yeah, If I have 400 to spend, And i get that first orange cadence, I'll still have 100 - 150 "depending if i sell my tube to my friend or not" for an amp kit, And they're only like $70 for a decentish one ain't they ?

Reckon It'll sound better than that fusion tube of mine? 1000watt sounds like quite a lot.... The kicker seems like it has the same amount of power as my old tube? Hmm

I want it too have a bit of base, But for me to be able to turn it up louder And not be too drainy / staticy like I have now. :)

And what you said about installation Kind of scares me, I know I'll be getting help, But I didn't think all that would be needed. haha.

P.S. Doing this won't blow up my speakers in my VX now correct? They're basic, But still pretty damn good... Better than the after market ones I brought for my VR

2LOUD2OLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
you are well and truly limiting yourself with that kind of budget,
but....... out of those the only one i would even remotely consider would be the kicker, the rest is all rubbish, especially the audioline. but dont expect anything special

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Thank you for your reply.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by tighter bass, Low down loud bass etc etc mate? And yeah, If I have 400 to spend, And i get that first orange cadence, I'll still have 100 - 150 "depending if i sell my tube to my friend or not" for an amp kit, And they're only like $70 for a decentish one ain't they ?

Reckon It'll sound better than that fusion tube of mine? 1000watt sounds like quite a lot....

I want it too have a bit of base, But for me to be able to turn it up louder And not be too drainy / staticy like I have now. :)

And what you said about installation Kind of scares me, I know I'll be getting help, But I didn't think all that would be needed. haha.

P.S. Doing this won't blow up my speakers in my VX now correct? They're basic, But still pretty damn good... Better than the after market ones I brought for my VR

Its not really 1000watts mate that is max power not a true rating, but there is no need to go into that.
It wont do anything with your speakers because your just adding a sub/amp, not touching the speakers so nothing will happen.
I would just go with kicker, its a bit of a better brand though i've run some cadence stuff before with no worries.
Again $70 will get you an entry level wiring kit from JB
This combo will be infinitly better than your current tube mate.

Josheh

Soon to be Boater
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Thank you very much, I'm not really an audiofobe, I've been known to tell people there systems sound really good, Yet they have done nothing to it, So limiting myself is the best option for me haha. Hell even my tube I thought was "Special" At one time.... I've been in my friends car he spent thousands on his system, It sounds good, But way way WAYY too much $$ imo for sound in a car.

So, Even though the kicker is reasonably less power according too the specs. like 100watt amp, I don't think I've seen an Amp even in Autobarn that low, It'll be a lot better than the cadence system?

Probably a stupid question, But why is that mate ? The Cadence system seems more in my budget, But if the kicker will perform better...... Ahhh this **** is confusing as hell!

It says my tube is like 300watts, But so is the kicker... In my head it shouldn't be any better, But It should / Probably is.... Haha, Is this stuff meant to be confusing or am i really just stupid? I pick the second.

2LOUD2OLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
just ignore the power figures, all those other brands are quoting Max figures, yet the Kicker is quoting RMS which is the real power, Max means squat, hence why the kicker looks to be lower.

really though if I was in your position with your budget i would be looking at 2nd hand instead, bound to get a far better system for your money

SuperSixty6

Alto Rullo
Reaction score
Members Ride
Landcruiser TD
Haven't looked at any of those specifications online, But first up don't get too excited just with the rated power of the woofers and amplifiers - Well what JB advertise anyway.

Kickers have a pretty crap sensitivity, which means you need to through a stack of power at them to get them to perform well. They also like ported boxes, Which are generally bigger.

And for one of the questions, No installing an amplifier and sub will not just connect to the headunit. You will need to run big-er power wire to battery for the amp.

You have asked to many questions in one thread for this time of night ;)

Cheers,
Super6

Josheh

Soon to be Boater
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
I have ALWAYS had so many problems with second hand, Stuff not working right, Breaking soon after, or even 7 months later, And having nothing, At least with these I have 12 months warrenty, Hmm....

Haha I'm sorry about the time.... I'm tired myself mind you, :p

Josheh

Soon to be Boater
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Thanks. Yeah my old fusion sub had

0 / + 18dBBass Boost 590mm x 365mm x 365mmEnclosure Dimensions 40Hz-250HzFrequency Response 20 AmpFuse 30Hz-250HzLow Pass Filter 360Max Power Rating (Watts)

I'm trying to find what dbbass the kicker has, Since it's got the same prac mass power rating.