Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buick and Ecotec V6 Performance Upgrades

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by dufus, Dec 5, 2007.

1. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Absolutely trust Mace gear, more wanted to know if these are as good as MSD? They are quite a bit cheaper. On the V6 type ignition MSD or equivalent seem to be a minor upgrade over stock. Normally I stay away from MSD as on a few different cars and makes they are known to cause problems. But I have it on good advice from a JC mod that the V6 ignition can be upgraded because of the type of ignition it is. I checked the site but couldn't find reviews on coils? Maybe I don't know the site well enough to know where to look, not sure?

2. stick3

stick3 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
    i just google mace coils reviews.... but the link not working

3. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Yeah that would be why I couldn't see any on his site.

Another question and it's about bored TB's. Mace claim that the OS TB's will produce more HP. But from what I understand is because the stock one is not a restriction, even at WOT actual HP gains are nil? However it will give the affect of driving like the throttle is depressed further and that is it? I'm cool with that as I assume it means I will have some increased throttle response but it won't have to be in high rev ranges to feel the additional power delivery, is that right?

4. stick3

stick3 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
    when i brought my new dashcam it has gps/speed good to see how quick the ute gets to 60. took 6 sec

losh1971 likes this.
  5. immortality

immortality Home of the smoky breakfast Bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    losh1971 likes this.
  6. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Read the entire thread, some good info. Am I right in saying that the Gorst coils are still as good any MSD or similar. I read about LS coils but it sounds like that upgrade is more than a simple bolt on and couldn't ascertain if the mod is an option on the Buick?
    It would seem that there are some minor gains to be made as far as economy goes, as you can run bigger gaps, due the higher output of the Gorst coils; as much as 1L per 100km?
    Also sounds like there is no need to replace the DFI, but it also sounds like it is a good idea to clean it up including the plug & plate and replace the heat-sink paste.
    Spark plug replacement is a no brainer if you want to re-gap. Especially since I have heard of ground straps breaking off and destroying engines, I won't be risking an engine over a $50 set of Bosch Platinum plugs. Probably ask the mech near work to gap the new plugs, since it would only be 10 bucks, to know they are done right.
    I'd be curious to know what the best gap to run on pretty much stock Buick with CAI, Pacies and Mace tune, with the anticipated mods of roller rockers and OS TB, 1.5mm maybe? Obviously these mods are not increasing comp, just flow.
    I primarily run Caltex 95 as that seems to get better economy than 91 and Caltex 95 seems for some unknown reason get better economy that other brands in an equivalent 95. 98 seems like a waste as I haven't had any measureable gains with 98 over 95, maybe 1%, compared to going from 91 to 95, where I'd say it is much as 8%-9%, improved economy, using Vortex.

7. delcowizzid

delcowizzid on holiday

Members Ride:
    в∞ѕтεכ √&
    Stock is plenty strong enough and last a long time compared to others .we make 500rwhp on stock coils I would save the money for other upgrades lol

losh1971 likes this.
  8. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
  9. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Yeah I gleaned that from the PCM thread but if there are economy gains of 1L per 100 to be made then I would have thought a $100 is a worthwhile spend?

10. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I have heard the removal of the bell mouth is a muppet mod. Has anyone actually removed it and can say for sure there are gains? I put mine back in when i replaced the mani gaskets, thinking it won't make any difference.

11. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Wondering if there are any more upgrades i can do to get gain some gains? List so far, Gorst coils, memcal, Pacies, Mace CAI, wrapped intake tube, 65mm TB and Mace rockers going on next weekend. I don't want to go cam as it will be too expensive. I have reamed valve body and boost valve. I'd like to fit a Vette servo but I need to book it in but there is a three month wait to get into my trans tech and i might as well have it serviced at the same time, which is due next year.
    Am i right in that i have gone as far as i can go without boost or cam?
    Is a high flow cat worth it considering i have to keep Y pipe?

12. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Just add i am looking for economical upgrade options, so lower ratio diff is out at this stage.

commodore665 likes this.
  13. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
    Make sure you get the tune to match the throttle body , it’ll make a big difference

losh1971 likes this.
  14. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I will talk to Mace and make sure the tune they sent me a few years back is suitable for the 65mm TB. I have noticed it goes a bit quicker off the line with minimal pedal but if you floor it, it's much the same as before.

commodore665 likes this.
  15. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
    What's size is the stock one ?

16. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    60mm

17. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Thinking about a shift kit next year when the trans gets serviced. Question is a shift kit something that can be kept if you have the trans rebuilt or do you fit a new one when you rebuild it, because they wear out? I really have no idea as I have only had a trans rebuilt once and a shift kit wasn't needed because of the type of trans.

18. immortality

Members Ride:
    A shift kit is a good thing for the 4l60, from the factory they are set up for comfort which means soft gear changes which means slippage which creates heat and wear. A shift kit will mechanically firm up shifts which means less slippage and less wear and tear. In reality it's one of those mods that when done properly really has no negatives. A basic shift kit is fairly simple and should be cheap and piss easy to do when the trans is out. Drill out 2 or 3 holes in the separator plate and change out a couple of springs and 2nd gear servo.

19. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I am having the servo fitted next week. I'd get him to fit the shift kit as well but I'm not overly confident in this blokes ability just yet. He is a trans tech but he put me off when he mentioned turning up the pressure screw. I seriously doubt my old trans tech would even suggest it. I also don't want to fit it myself, I'd rather pay a few bucks.
    I'm hoping that next year my old trans bloke will take on more work and fit the shift kit while he does a service.

20. immortality

Members Ride:
    Yeah best not play with that unless you know what you are doing. would need to check pressures with a gauge on the trans to make sure it's not to high.