Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buick and Ecotec V6 Performance Upgrades

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Wondering if there are any more upgrades i can do to get gain some gains? List so far, Gorst coils, memcal, Pacies, Mace CAI, wrapped intake tube, 65mm TB and Mace rockers going on next weekend. I don't want to go cam as it will be too expensive. I have reamed valve body and boost valve. I'd like to fit a Vette servo but I need to book it in but there is a three month wait to get into my trans tech and i might as well have it serviced at the same time, which is due next year.
Am i right in that i have gone as far as i can go without boost or cam?
Is a high flow cat worth it considering i have to keep Y pipe?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just add i am looking for economical upgrade options, so lower ratio diff is out at this stage.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I will talk to Mace and make sure the tune they sent me a few years back is suitable for the 65mm TB. I have noticed it goes a bit quicker off the line with minimal pedal but if you floor it, it's much the same as before.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I will talk to Mace and make sure the tune they sent me a few years back is suitable for the 65mm TB. I have noticed it goes a bit quicker off the line with minimal pedal but if you floor it, it's much the same as before.

What's size is the stock one ?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thinking about a shift kit next year when the trans gets serviced. Question is a shift kit something that can be kept if you have the trans rebuilt or do you fit a new one when you rebuild it, because they wear out? I really have no idea as I have only had a trans rebuilt once and a shift kit wasn't needed because of the type of trans.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
A shift kit is a good thing for the 4l60, from the factory they are set up for comfort which means soft gear changes which means slippage which creates heat and wear. A shift kit will mechanically firm up shifts which means less slippage and less wear and tear. In reality it's one of those mods that when done properly really has no negatives. A basic shift kit is fairly simple and should be cheap and piss easy to do when the trans is out. Drill out 2 or 3 holes in the separator plate and change out a couple of springs and 2nd gear servo.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
A basic shift kit is fairly simple and should be cheap and piss easy to do when the trans is out. Drill out 2 or 3 holes in the separator plate and change out a couple of springs and 2nd gear servo.
I am having the servo fitted next week. I'd get him to fit the shift kit as well but I'm not overly confident in this blokes ability just yet. He is a trans tech but he put me off when he mentioned turning up the pressure screw. I seriously doubt my old trans tech would even suggest it. I also don't want to fit it myself, I'd rather pay a few bucks.
I'm hoping that next year my old trans bloke will take on more work and fit the shift kit while he does a service.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yeah best not play with that unless you know what you are doing. would need to check pressures with a gauge on the trans to make sure it's not to high.