Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buick and Ecotec V6 Performance Upgrades

Shaundy

BMW Technician Apprentice
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 BT1
I have seen CAIs advertised as offering improved fuel economy and have read mixed reviews on this. What do your sources say on the matter?

radarak47

I lean to the right
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Acclaim
not sure on fuel economy unless it has something to do with the ECU being able to adjust the timing etc a bit better with the cooler denser air intake. the cooler air intake is the real advantage for more power (if only a slight improvement).

randomhero365

Reaction score
Members Ride
AU XR6 VCT
This might sound stupid, but how do I tell if my car is LSD or IRS??
I want to buy a catback but I need to know if my car is LSD or IRS..

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Your car can have both. LSD is a Limited Slip Differential (your diff), IRS is Independant Rear Suspension.

Your car could POSSIBLY have IRS, but i doubt it would have an LSD if it's a VP.

randomhero365

Reaction score
Members Ride
AU XR6 VCT
okay..
So if I put in a limited slip diff later on I would still have IRS??

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Huh? Of course you would (that's if your car even has IRS). Why would putting a diff in make you lose your suspension? They have sweet F/A to do with each other.....

They are 2 totally seperate items on your car.

randomhero365

Reaction score
Members Ride
AU XR6 VCT
lol, okay. thanks.
I was just making sure, I dont really know that much about all the mechanical stuff.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
You're asking the wrong question. For a cat back you need to know which suspension setup you have, IRS (Independent Rear Suspension) or live axle. What model is your VP? If it's a Calais or SS it will have IRS, otherwise probably not. Take a photo under the car of the diff area and post it up, we'll be able to tell you which setup you have.

LSD stands for Limited Slip Differential, and this can be applied to either suspension setup without changing anything in the suspension itself. Whether your car has an LSD has NO BEARING on which exhaust system you need.

Sam

randomhero365

Reaction score
Members Ride
AU XR6 VCT
You're asking the wrong question. For a cat back you need to know which suspension setup you have, IRS (Independent Rear Suspension) or live axle. What model is your VP? If it's a Calais or SS it will have IRS, otherwise probably not. Take a photo under the car of the diff area and post it up, we'll be able to tell you which setup you have.

LSD stands for Limited Slip Differential, and this can be applied to either suspension setup without changing anything in the suspension itself. Whether your car has an LSD has NO BEARING on which exhaust system you need.

Sam

thanks.
that makes a ton more sense.
I have a Berlina VP '91, I'll take a snap in a few minutes.