Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buick and Ecotec V6 Performance Upgrades

VS Work Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 series 2 VS V6 ute
Made a new oil pick up today out of a weber trumpet as the first engine seized due to a blocked pick up. Should handle the job alright providing these engines don't surge under hard braking and cornering.
20200622_104447.jpg
20200622_104526.jpg
20200622_083645.jpg
20200622_093134.jpg

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Keep the oil around the full mark, under extreme braking I have had the oil light come on once (momentarily) when the oil level was around the fill mark.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

VS Work Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 series 2 VS V6 ute
Keep the oil around the full mark, under extreme braking I have had the oil light come on once (momentarily) when the oil level was around the fill mark.
Cheers, had this issue once in an MG engine doing Hill Climbs, a liter extra did the trick. I wasn't sure If I might had changed to flow characteristics. Any reason these engines have such a small surface area and the outer sleeve?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No idea TBH. The Holden 304 motor had a similar acorn style oil pick up.

VS Work Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 series 2 VS V6 ute
I could be wrong but that looks like poor maintenance at some point rather than an issue with the stock pickup.
Yeah it was an $800 special with two spare engines in the back. I was told at purchase that it had at least an inlet manifold gasket gone, I pulled the top end down and it was full of rust and sludge. Cylinders were ok so I recoed the heads off one of the spare motors and cleaned everything else up. Got 10kms down the road on its first run and the oil light came on and the lifters bled down. Let it rest, the lifters built up and i headed home. The oil light came on again so i shut it off again and rolled down hill and rested it again. When I went to start it again it was seized. It was a gamble that didn't pay off.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ahhhhhh spewinnnnn

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
With correct size turbo can have something cruisey with heaps of torque,good thing about this way it's mostly bolt on parts after sump mods...Tony'z Turbo Garage on Fb for info/ideas

If you really want a superchaged v6 simplest way is l67.

N/a I would contact Tony Knight Engines(TK) in S.A for advice/quotes

I spoke to our local engine builder who builds engines for race cars. Basically I can do some pocket porting, valve reshape and light skim on the heads, without needing a cam. I have to be careful about trying to get the comps up too much on an old engine of unknown mileage as it can cause glazing and result in oil burning. I'm thinking a safe skim will be 15thou. This will increase the lifter preload a tad, and a slight comp bump. I'm not expecting huge gains but am hoping for maybe a final figure of 130-140rwkw. I figure that just overhauling the heads will give back some of the losses from being old. I have an oil leak on the passenger side and I can see it coming from the head. It's pretty minor but it does drip onto the starter motor. Given the engine is pretty decent since other repairs have been carried out I'm happy to sink some coin into the new heads. If I go boost I'd want a sound engine and decent heads so it makes sense to overhaul them.
If I had my time over I'd probably look at cam upgrade over 1.9 rockers. I went with rockers because it was easy bolt-on HP. However had I known my chain, and tensioner were worn out before I fitted the rockers I would have gone a large cam. But it took the rockers to be fitted for the chain issue to flare up and it was spend big coin on cam and labor doing a whole lot more than I had money for at the time or go with rockers and settle for a little less output.

Last edited:

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
I spoke to our local engine builder who builds engines for race cars. Basically I can do some pocket porting, valve reshape and light skim on the heads, without needing a cam. I have to be careful about trying to get the comps up too much on an old engine of unknown mileage as it can cause glazing and result in oil burning. I'm thinking a safe skim will be 15thou. This will increase the lifter preload a tad, and a slight comp bump. I'm not expecting huge gains but am hoping for maybe a final figure of 130-140rwkw. I figure that just overhauling the heads will give back some of the losses from being old. I have an oil leak on the passenger side and I can see it coming from the head. It's pretty minor but it does drip onto the starter motor. Given the engine is pretty decent since other repairs have been carried out I'm happy to sink some coin into the new heads. If I go boost I'd want a sound engine and decent heads so it makes sense to overhaul them.
If I had my time over I'd probably look at cam upgrade over 1.9 rockers. I went with rockers because it was easy bolt-on HP. However had I known my chain, and tensioner were worn out before I fitted the rockers I would have gone a large cam. But it took the rockers to be fitted for the chain issue to flare up and it was spend big coin on cam and labor doing a whole lot more than I had money for at the time or go with rockers and settle for a little less output.
we all learn, take note of the sayings
@Do it once Do it right ;)
The 6 P's
@ Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance ;)