Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] [Buick]"How To" bypass hose and inlet manifold bung

LeaThaL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 1 sedan
Hey all,

im big into doing detailed how to threads on my 1jz/z20 soarer so now im doing it on the VR i might as well do one on here! :)

this is a how to for replacing the bypass hose from the top of the water pump to the inlet manifold and the bung that is plugged into the inlet manifold

dsc00588rs.jpg

Step 1. remove the positive from the battery as were going to be playing with the alternator at one point.

dsc00590ft.jpg

Step 2. You want to remove the belt, so get a 18mm socket and remove the belt off the alternator pulley but dont totally remove it , just sit the belt on the pully when down so it stays where it is.

dsc00589y.jpg

Step 3. now you will see the 2 bolts on the alternator, one is a 10mm and the bigger is a 13mm, remove the 10mm one (left side of alternator) and only loosen the 13mm one by about 2 turns.

Step 4. once the bolts are loosened get either some plyers or a flat head screwdriver and remove the clip holding the plug on top of the alternator on

dsc00591lm.jpg

Step 5. once done, the alternator should just rotate off to the right and sit there, if the loom catches just move it untill it moves freely

dsc00592yt.jpg

Step 6. this here is the little pipe were replacing, as far as ive had commodores this has been a randome problem as its in a fair amount of heat and can get hard and crack under pressure, you will want to remove these with a socket wrench, i think their 9/32 but not 100% sure :p once the hose has been removed expect water to flow out of the water pump, but to save some coolant just dont remove your radaitor cap as it will leave a vaccum in the lines and stop flow after some time

dsc00593f.jpg

Step 7. now it looks really dirty here as it had been leaking oil at some time and coolant had been running thru here so with the hose off i hit it with some degreeser and a old toothbrush to get things nicer

dsc00592yt.jpg

dsc00596ba.jpg

Step 8. while the hose is off its good to replace this bung, its just a connector for the hose to enter the inlet manifold, as it can also get old and crack and cause water leaks,

now you can get a standard replacement plastic one, however as i found out they now make a brass one to repalce it

dsc00595oy.jpg

dsc00597j.jpg

Step 9. for the above piece, to remove it either insert a set of long nose pylyers into the front and wiggle it from top to bottom or side to side or put a flat blade screwdriver under one side and pry it off side to side. but make sure it doesnt break as its a pain to try and remove random bits of plastic from inside the mainfold like when mine broke on the VR wagon, and once youve got it off give it a nice clean to make sure you would get a good clean seal

dsc00599n.jpg

Step 10. with the new fitting in hand get the larger end with the rubber seal and put in the now open hole, and tap side to side to get said end in to sit flush with the manifold, and make sure to line up the hole on the loom with where the 10 mm bolt sits in.

Step 11. now using either new clamps or just reusing the old ones (i suggest if you do use old ones degrease them and check for damage) use you new hose and just pop onto the water pump pipe and put over your new bung, make sure both clamps are under the lip on the bung and the waterpump to save them getting pressurised and then pop off, once happy with how its sitting now tighten up the clamps but dont go too overboard as you dont wanna pinch the new hose and cause a new leak, just go till you feel its getting tight and go maybe a half turn after that and just check with your fingers if it moves.

Step 12. now just reverse steps 1 to 5 to get things back together, fill what water had come out in the radaitor, start the car and bleed the system as usual, while looking and seeing if there is any leaks and if there isnt, then success! enjoy having pressure in your cooling system again like i did :p

dsc00600yf.jpg

akuma

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8T Executive
hey, where did you get the brass bung? is it a genuine part?
if so any idea of the part number?

v6lux

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 (was VR) V6 Hilux
This is a very good mod, however Step 4 has a RISK!

Unnecessarily loosing the plug clip;

Step 4. once the bolts are loosened get either some plyers or a flat head screwdriver and remove the clip holding the plug on top of the alternator on

dsc00591lm.jpg

How about you guys just push the clip in with your finger or thumb and then remove the plug, keeping the clip in place so it wont get lost!

Attachments

• injector 2 (Small).jpg
    injector 2 (Small).jpg
    29 KB · Views: 997

LeaThaL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 1 sedan
This is a very good mod, however Step 4 has a RISK!

Unnecessarily loosing the plug clip;

How about you guys just push the clip in with your finger or thumb and then remove the plug, keeping the clip in place so it wont get lost!

yeah thats a good point, ill have to mod the post but cheers! :)

as for the brass bung i just got it from repco without a package but apparently most have them now

RK5TAR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Manual
I got my brass bung at Bursons. $26.95

Made by Kilkenny Castings
Brass Adaptor to suit Holden Commodore
Part No: KC38MC
VN-VR
Complete with seal.

Genuine Part N0. 92061-300(Adaptor) 24500321 (seal).

Thats what it has on my packet.

LeaThal the original bung on mine has actually broken and there is only a tiny but sticking out. What would be the best way to try and fish it out before putting the new one on?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
looks interesting. good write up, what are the reasons/causes for doing this?
what problems does it fix?

the original hose piece is plastic, and over time, rots and eventually breaks, pissing coolant out the broken bit.

the new one is brass, so it can survive longer than the car ever will

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
the original hose piece is plastic, and over time, rots and eventually breaks, pissing coolant out the broken bit.

the new one is brass, so it can survive longer than the car ever will

on a 94 VR chances are its going, gone or gonna go see yeah?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
on a 94 VR chances are its going, gone or gonna go see yeah?

up until the last 2 words, that was making sense.

most people dont change them til it breaks, depends if you want to drop $25 on the fitting, and whatever on the hose(dont change one without the other) or not

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
up until the last 2 words, that was making sense.

most people dont change them til it breaks, depends if you want to drop $25 on the fitting, and whatever on the hose(dont change one without the other) or not

whoops that was meant to say "soon" instead of "see".

ok ill put this in the list of things to do when I get bored lol. or change it when it breaks. thanks for you're help :surprise: