Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buick V6 Throttle adjustments

MathiaS

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VR Exec 3.8
Hi Guys,
I have a 93 VR which i just put a 70mm Throttle body on and need some advice on possible adjustments

Just a bit of backstory, when i first put the new TB on, the engine idled at over 1500 RPM (with the old TB it sat at around 1000) so i had to adjust the close stopper so the butterfly could close up almost completely, Its now sitting at 1200 RPM and I'm Very happy with Performance and how smooth the engine is.
The problem lies in that i had to adjust the throttle cable so it didn't sit open because of that and now the new TB will not open completely.
So my real question is, is there any way to gear this cable so that when i push my accelerator 1 CM the throttle body will move 1.2 CM (this would probably be far far too much but just for arguments sake) or is there any built in way to adjust this without affecting the idle speed.

Cheers in advance

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
no gears it's basic use of levers, you'd want to move the cable attach point closer to the center *edited was thinking of it backwards*
now adjusting the screw to change your idle will mess the ecu up as it'll be trying to close the iac to slow it down to it's predetermined rpm and will most likely throw it into lhm possibly iac, tps or vac leak error, close it to far and it will top the iac out and won't be able to raise the rpm, the plastic cap on them is to stop ppl changing it, cause to do it properly you'd want a tech2 or laptop hooked up so you can set it correctly.

Last edited:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Do the people who sell these larger throttle bodies, mention that you will also need to buy a tune to suit?

MathiaS

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VR Exec 3.8
Cheers for all the responses, i am planning on getting it tuned but am waiting on my new injectors and fuel pump before i do it
It does have the IAC Valve the only reason that i dropped the rpm with the Screw is that it was physically open too far and the IAC Valve couldnt do its job - the car is running fine at the moment no engine light no LHM and the acceleration is much smoother - better idle - everything is great with it on, just looking to get the power out of it at the moment.
Really liking the idea of moving the joining point on the TB itself, Great idea gunna give it a shot
Cheers to everyone for the help

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Have you removed the bell mouth? I'v heard mixed reviews about it but with 70mm TB It might pay too.