Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Build date confirmation

Towmater

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute
Is there any way of confirming the actual build date of a VG ute other than looking at the compliance plate?
I have the VIN number and wondered if there was a department at GM that I could contact?
Any ideas?
Cheers.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Is there any way of confirming the actual build date of a VG ute other than looking at the compliance plate?
I have the VIN number and wondered if there was a department at GM that I could contact?
Any ideas?
Cheers.
You can work out the model year from the VIN. Other than that, unless you have original paperwork it's probably going to be difficult. If you are keen to lift the carpet you "may" find some build paperwork under there. I suspect Holden are not going to be too helpful. Is there something wrong with compliance plate?

Towmater

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute
Thanks Noeleter.
Nothing wrong other than I wanted to put this sucker on club plates and it needs to be 25 years old and not one day younger.
Compliance plate date is December 7, 1990.
Guess I'm going to have to wait ..... bugger!

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Any ideas?
Cheers.

no... simply because the build takes place over a number of days
maybe 7 working days, maybe 10 or 11...depends on the model, colour choice,
plant scheduling etc

thats' why you only get a month and year on the plates because there is no actual build DATE
just a build period

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
sometimes if you pull up the carpet or drop the headliner theres a build sheet that will have a full date (day too). like smitty said though, it will still have been over a period. that build date on the sheet will probably just be for the day that sheet was printed....

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Thanks Noeleter.
Nothing wrong other than I wanted to put this sucker on club plates and it needs to be 25 years old and not one day younger.
Compliance plate date is December 7, 1990.
Guess I'm going to have to wait ..... bugger!
Is it 25 years in Victoria. It's 30 years in Qld and I think other states. If it was 25 years here I could get my bike on club plates next year. As it is I will have to wait until 2021!

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
sometimes if you pull up the carpet or drop the headliner theres a build sheet that will have a full date (day too). like smitty said though, it will still have been over a period. that build date on the sheet will probably just be for the day that sheet was printed....

.. these sheets are called production broadcast sheets and the date on them is the date they are printed
(which may be the day the car is started or a day or 2 before)

Towmater

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute
Yeah Noeleter, it's definately 25 years here in Vic.
You just need to be a member of a VicRoads recognised car club and get your permit registrar to sign off on the application.
Saves heaps in rego but you must remember to fill out the logbook BEFORE you drive/ride.
Plod is getting tough on people scribbling in the book after being pulled up.
Cheers!