Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Build options

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
T2 slotted rotors improved the braking on my old VS.

H

harrop.senator

I agree so I'll take starr manifold off ya for a $1 then prove how horrendous it is....

MKAL do starr version of banana with ls 90mm throttle body.

Always going to have obvious limits in what bananas can do but it was never designed for outright performance...low comp engine with torque that achieved what it was meant to do at the time.

Extrude hone and port match at $800 and have anyone Tig an adapter plate on and they flow close to 300 CFM.

That's how much it was few years ago when I looked into it anyway. I was like , yeah na and went a Harrop set up.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Realistically, what is the max hp you can get out of the standard bananas?

Would a reasonable bump in compression, cam, exhaust and tune be good for 350 - 400 hp max at the crank?

I'm thinking if that is achievable, diff gears and a stally will actually be pretty fun as the VPs are not that heavy.

H

harrop.senator

Na I'd say not lol. Most of the cars I've seen with a 220-230 cam and shaved heads or flat tops with bananas and headers make around 220-250 rwhp.

Port city engines did a rebuilt one with a non stated spec crow cam and some extra compression and I think it made 300 crank hp.

You can still get them to run a low 13 high 12 with gears and stally in a VP weight car with the right tune and driver mod.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Wow 180-190kw doesn't sound much for a V8? Just comparing to my 6L which you can't really I suppose that has 314kw. I know not much but would have thought 250kw?

H

harrop.senator

Wow 180-190kw doesn't sound much for a V8? Just comparing to my 6L which you can't really I suppose that has 314kw. I know not much but would have thought 250kw?

My 355 sits around 320-350 rwhp . That's a 5.8 litre with a single plain intake manifold , 230 @ .050 hydraulic flat tapper cam , hand ported heads and off the shelf tri y's.

There's a reason LS changed the game.

It's why I always pull you up for saying only 314 kW when you comment it.

I know of 7+ litre built big blocks with aluminium heads and roller cams making the same peak hp as you.

My only complaint with the LS is the torque curve and the lack of low down.

The peak power isn't as impressive with the earlier girls but the torque production is and so is the weight.

There's close to a 500 kg difference between a vp and a ve. So power to weight would make the 250 who closer to 325. With more torque to weight down low.

Making 350 rwhp in a non race V8 was fairly unheard of without being a big block before the LS.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I see some vids with some street cars having 1000hp. So my neive mind thinks the average must be 500hp lol. Obviously I'm misguided.

H

harrop.senator

The non intercooled 2300 TVS from Harrop bolted onto a stock 304 with headers and exhaust and takes the power from 200 rwhp to 300 rwhp.