Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Build options

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If I'm not mistaken OP said it was a weekend car.....
So a nice trip with the wife and the old bus breaks down, awesome. Still means two flatbeds, one when it breaks and another in six months time when your wait to get your car in for driveline repairs is up.....

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
So a nice trip with the wife and the old bus breaks down, awesome. Still means two flatbeds, one when it breaks and another in six months time when your wait to get your car in for driveline repairs is up.....
sounds like you have had experience with flatbeds haha

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
sounds like you have had experience with flatbeds haha

Yep, and this is one time I fully agree with what you said......

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Suppose it depends where you live and who your family/mates are.
I've always had 2 or more vehicles since about '05, so if anything brakes I can nurse it home or get someone to help. I think it's 10+ years since my last roadside assistance tow.
I kind of have done it as Shane says. But just be aware of everything, show sympathy to the mechanicals, and if diff makes a noise, or trans or brakes, then they go to the top of the list for inspection/upgrade etc.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Good thing about crappy vp brakes is they make car scarier than it should be...'cos you're never sure it will stop properly if you try to go fast haha.

Vortech kit from Capa was built for stock cars to retain p/steer & air con....just got to grind bit of alternator & add drain to sump or can send them your dipstick tube to modify but known to eventually leak.

All of the factory airboxes proven to be restrictive even hsv items...even mace item although it's got more volume & way larger opening which makes it better.

Add pacemakers & 100-200cell metal cats if haven't got them already....mace airbox & Ace Performance memcal tune which should be decent improvement to get most out of 3.7 gears & 4l60e mods.

Trans might only have synchroniser kit or maybe already got transgo shift kit,boost valve & corvette servo....if it's got latter trans mods you'd know 'cos be heaps of fun in rain & in the dry that 1st to 2nd rear end steps out at full throttle lol

Some good info. Last time I seriously looked into all this was 2004. Car has pretty much been in storage since 2008. It is now registered and running.

I did have the brakes done many years ago. DBA slotted rotors, upgraded (apparently) brake booster and metal pads. Pulls up a lot better than what it used to, but yeah still ****! That set up has about 40,000km on it.

Haven't got pacemakers, just the hsv headers. No idea what cats are in it. Back in the day I had a full mild steel twin 2.5" into 3" system with two cats done up for just over $500 lol.

Not sure on the shift kit but I doubt it has one after reading what you describe. The shifts are firm and noticeable but it doesn't chirp at all.

Yeah well better make sure you have full roadside assist with unlimited tow, if you plan to hope for the best. Then need to make sure you have a spare car to drive while you wait six months to have your trans or diff rebuilt.

Yep already do haha, it hasn't been the most reliable car back when I dailied it, been on a tow truck plenty of times.......

If I'm not mistaken OP said it was a weekend car.....

Yeah weekend car. Lucky to do 1,000km a year.

Last edited:

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8

That's one factor I can discount - the missus won't go near this thing, hates it :cool:

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Suppose it depends where you live and who your family/mates are.
I've always had 2 or more vehicles since about '05, so if anything brakes I can nurse it home or get someone to help. I think it's 10+ years since my last roadside assistance tow.
I kind of have done it as Shane says. But just be aware of everything, show sympathy to the mechanicals, and if diff makes a noise, or trans or brakes, then they go to the top of the list for inspection/upgrade etc.

Yeah ,pretty much had 2 vehicles since early 80s = after weeks of rain ( or did it just seem like that ) Honda CX 500, 2nd year apprentice = wet weather gear every morning wore thin pretty quickly. Totally different when have the choice = 90s /early 2000s = fxxk it and totally enjoyed rain trips on the Yammy TRX 850 . And these don't have anything to do with breakdowns.

That's one factor I can discount - the missus won't go near this thing, hates it :cool:

My missus when I first threw the supercharger on the CV8 Monaro and the first time she drove it = ( OH it wants to go = happy as) to now last ( a mates birthday ) = time to leave ( tries to pull away from the kerb = I'm not doing = well I'm over the Limit = even more pissed off = back to the party , ( I did behave = no more alcohol ) and eventually we headed home !!!!
Now when ever I put MY foot down ,in whichever car ,she's = are you a child = me He he he = well YES!!!!!
So I'm still in the Shxt!!!!

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Most of my cars have had roadside assistance.....cheapest way to tow it home when I've broke something on the car usually late at night lol.

If a car gets towed home once in a year then roadside assistance has paid for itself especially with freshly rebuilt car.

Feels like a waste of money untill you actually need it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My old ute was towed so often that when calling the RACT used to say to me "is it a while Holden ute?"