Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Building 5L VP UTE

BROCK UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S ute 5.0
Hi all, I have a stock 5 Litre VP S ute with a 5 speed manual and I am getting ready to do a build up on the engine. So far I've replaced the suspension with new shocks, lower springs, adjustable panhard rod and new bushes throughout. I also have the stock catback with the mufflers replaced with straight pipes and a set of difilippo 4-1 long tube headers that haven't been installed yet. I think they have 1 3/4" primaries with 3" collectors.
It is time to touch the V8!
I have a rough list of things I would like to do going off research on the net and people I have spoken to who has modified earlier Holden V8's. This is my first time building a 5 litre so I thought I would try and get as much info as possible before I get going on it.
My goal is for the engine to become lively and wake right up. I want power in the mid to upper rev range and it needs to sound tough.
I would like to keep the budget around $5-7k so I can afford to miss the bits that aren't essential but can go a bit over if they are.
Flattop pistons or forged pistons
Shaved heads
Block decked
Engine gasket and rebuilt kit
Crane H304 cam package:
(Package Includes
1 Crane Camshaft
1 set of Crane Anti Pump Lifters
1 bottle Crane Super Lube Break In Concentrate
1 set Blue Racer Valve Springs
1 set Crane Retainers
1 set Crane Machined Valve Locks
1 Rollmaster Performance Timing SeT)

Intake manifold either carby style with 4 barrel throttle body or twin throttle body manifold
Dual 2.5" exhaust or single 3"
Dyno tune.

I plan on getting a new diff with a shorter final drive at some point in the future and possibly a light flywheel.
Let me know if I missed anything.
Do I need?:
Roller rockers, fuel pump, injectors?
Pistons and or engine machining specs to achieve at least 10.1-11 compression ratio
What brand pistons do you recommend?
What intake manifolds?
Looking at the COME twin which is a $3000 manifold and harrop,COME,torque power carby style ones for use with EFI to get the cost down a bit.
What 4 barrel throttle body if I went that path and what's involved in set up?

If I could get some guidance that would be awesome
Thanks

90TTZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman SS
Great choice there. The VP would have to be one of my all time favorites, probably because my first ever Commodore was a VP back in '94. The biggest thing that prevented the 304 from, as you say waking up is the low compression ratio. Between 10-10.5:1 would be great matched with a decent camshaft and tune will certainly make it come alive. Make sure you do your homework with selecting the right Camshaft. Many factors, particularly compression ratio will determine selection. Personally I think changing the manifold is not a great bang for buck choice unless you want the wow factor when you open the bonnet. Going for a larger throttle body would be money better spent while retaining that OEM appearance. If you keep the standard intake manifold, get it wet bead blasted, they come up very prewty :)

Something you can look into while the engine is apart is converting the rear main rope seal to a neoprene lip seal. Much more reliable and easy as pie to change if you ever need to.

Piston choice you would be pretty safe with the known brands. I personally have built a lot of high boost engines with Wiseco pistons and never had a failure. Hypertec make tried true units for this engine and are priced reasonably.

Are you sticking with the factory Delco ECU? You'll have to find someone who does Kalmaker tunes if you are and make sure it is not a mail order bride. Custom tunes on a dyno is the only way you will extract the most out of your research, effort and hard earned dollars.

Do some research on injectors. With your build spec you should have an idea of power you will make and then go looking to what size you need then. Depending on how aggressive your cam selection is you might be able to get away with the stock injectors and tune to run in and get your car to the tuning shop. Otherwise you'll need a mail order memcal to get you going. This is another advantage of looking to aftermarket engine management. Much more flexible and the tuners are far and wide depending on which EMS you choose. It's the opposite with LS based engines as the OEM engine management system is the choice among majority of enthusiasts and tuners alike with software like HP Tuners and EFI Live.

With your fuel pump it would be a good idea to change it simply due to it's age. You should be able to get a drop in Walbro which will flow more and is E85 compatible. Great thing about pre LS engines is they use a fuel pressure regulator which makes your choice of fuel pump much more forgiving.

Get some brand name Tri Y headers to help it breath matched with a mandrel bent 3" exhaust. 4 into 1 headers are great for top end power so if your aim is to get the highest possible power figure that will be your choice, otherwise if you want the best low to mid range response go for tri y's.

Make sure you change every coolant hose! So many people build performance engines and neglect changing the 20 year old radiator and heater hoses that quickly blowout due to the higher temperatures made when you mash the loud pedal. Another wise move would be to replace the viscous coupling on the engine fan.

Anyway mate I hope this helps. Do your research, don't rush it and start the build when you have everything ready to go otherwise it will be sitting there taking up space while you wait for parts and machinist availability.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
The H304 isn't great for a cruiser - there are far more street friendly grinds out there. Agreed about the compression, but the factory manifold (regardless of TB size) will strangle anything but a stock 304. You'd have an absolute slug with a crane 304 and the stock manifold.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Don't forget to strengthen the bottom end. Studs should be good. And smooth the oil returns etc.
Its the little things that help in the long run.

BROCK UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S ute 5.0
Hey Thanks for all the replies to my thread. I'm fairly knee deep into my build now and most of the parts are purchased and ready to go in. I decided to stroke it to 355 with a COME Racing kit (forged pistons, H beam rods, crank, bearings etc) and I ended up with the H304 crane cam with supporting hardware to match. I went with a Harrop single plane inlet manifold with 1000CFM edelbrock throttle body and I have a completely new exhaust system. Difilippo 4-1 headers and custom twin 2.5 inch pipes from the headers back. I have driven the car in standard form with this new system and it sounds unreal.
I am hoping to send the car to the shop next week to get all the good stuff done!
I will keep you guys posted on how it all goes
Thanks again