Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Building a 304 and want big hp!!!!!

hsv355

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn hsv sv enhanced
G'DAY, IM BUILDING MY HSV SV ENHANCED 304 VN AND WOULD APPRECIATE ANYONES OPINIONS!!!! GOING A SCAT 355 STROKER KIT (((eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d))) SIMILAR TO THAT BUT WANT FOR FORGED CRANK AND BEEN TOLD MOLY RINGS WILL WEAR QUICKER AND COULD MELT????? NOT SURE ON CAM SIZE YET THOUGH MILDISH!!!! AND THE C.O.M.E. 600 SERIES ALLOY OUT OF BOX HEADS (((C.O.M.E. Racing Latest News))) AND A Y/T SUPERCHARGER.. ANY INFO ON SPECS OR EVEN IF IM HEADING IN THE WRIGHT DIRECTION WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
you either have a lot of spare cash or really love your existing shell. my heart might want to build that motor but my head says buy a newer car with a gen3 or gen4

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You want to stroke it AND supercharge it?

If it was mine, I would build it strong for a supercharger and leave it at 304, it will rev quicker and higher, and produce about the same HP. Although the figure that really matters, the torque, will be a bit lower with a 304 than a 355.

Or sell it and buy a VX LS1 and turbo it....

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
you either have a lot of spare cash or really love your existing shell. my heart might want to build that motor but my head says buy a newer car with a gen3 or gen4

if we were all to go with our heads, we wouldn't bother wasting money on an old tech OHV LS engine either, we'd all have monster 2JZ's under the bonnet.
this hobby we love is very much about passion. Passion comes from the heart, not the head!

every man and his dog has a VY VZ VE with a LS engine. It's becoming incredibly boring and stale.
Might cost a lot more money to coax the same sort of power out of a Holden, but it makes for a much more interesting combo

Last edited:

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
2JZ's are indeed better but Pro Compact dragsters really don't excite me either. People are probably correct in saying that LS cars are passe but when the OP is talking about getting a one-off forged crank made at maybe $25,000 and then adding alloy heads and a top mount charger ........but then they need to seek advice on the ins and outs of moly rings and mention nothing about the two bolt bottom end..... I am thinking the best advice here is an LS engined car for this person unless they really are looking for a very expensive little used weekend bruiser (and have prior experience in running and paying for highly modified V8's)

Last edited:

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
if he bought a LS engine he'd probably want a one off forged crank and moly rings too, so what's the difference.
Just gets a little tiresome when just about every Holden V8 build up thread turns into a 'get a LS engine'
Not everybody wants a LS engine. I certainly don't. If we wanted a LS engine, we'd post in the LS section.

flanker

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss hdt aero
... whats your budget

Clayton355

Bring it on
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vnss
N/a 355 mate sounds bloody tuff and with the right combo u can up to 400rwhp

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Big HP and 304 should never be used in the same sentence unless you have a **** tin of money to throw at it..

And im talking above 15k, not to mention the cost of a box that would handle the power....

The 304's block is rated to only about 450 hp and then the thing needs to be girdled up and still then, things go bang....

At the end of the day you need to ask yourself if you can warrant the cost of building a high HP 304 when half the money spent on (as above) a 2JZ will produce twice as much with about 5 times the reliability.

I got half way with one and woke up to myself....