Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Building a 304 and want big hp!!!!!

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Or you can get a ready to go pavtek crate motor with 400 odd HP for 7k. Ready to go. 355.

Clayton355

Bring it on
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vnss
I have a 355 built here vn block so far set me back $15000 still need manifold another $1200 it will push 500plus hp and has pavtek girdle 2 bolt it's all about how it is built and wot components r used

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
90 degree v8's are their own angry animal. Very distinct. Add old cast iron and you have a nostalgic engine on your hands. To some there is no substitute.

People often forget just how freakishly fast 400 horse power can actually be. They forget the pure fact that the car needs to actually be driven, on roads, with other drivers, and they start throwing figures out over 400 as if it's a reasonable ask from a road donkey?!?

Nothing wrong with a nice cast iron 90 degree v8 putting 300 hp down to the road. Nice note, nice torque, nice build.

2j's are crap. Soon people will realize and move on to the next big thing

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
I wouldn't mind a Pavtek built motor in the VS. Will be more then enough. Can't beat the old 5 litre sound.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
90 degree v8's are their own angry animal. Very distinct. Add old cast iron and you have a nostalgic engine on your hands. To some there is no substitute.

People often forget just how freakishly fast 400 horse power can actually be. They forget the pure fact that the car needs to actually be driven, on roads, with other drivers, and they start throwing figures out over 400 as if it's a reasonable ask from a road donkey?!?

Nothing wrong with a nice cast iron 90 degree v8 putting 300 hp down to the road. Nice note, nice torque, nice build.

2j's are crap. Soon people will realize and move on to the next big thing

Totally agree Ari.

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
this is not about toyota turbos versus V8's. It is my advice to HSV355. Reading between the lines I think he has limited experience with running big HP V8's and so is starstruck by talk of superchargers and alloy heads. If he does know motors then where do you get a forged crank for a holden V8? cast or billet yes, but a forgie?
I do run a 355, and have to raise and lower my windows with a little rotating lever, and lock the doors with a little pull up knob on the inside and a rotating key on the outside. I love it. But at 305FWHP I leave Rex's alone and just enjoy my sounds and torque. I have learnt where to spend my money - why buy a big $$$ short shifter when the same for mustangs fit for a quarter of the price for good brands like hurst? building a stroker to run on 91 octane for a daily driver to me is a no brainer when you are just rolling along with the traffic most of the time, 775 injectors are not nearly as good as the EV6 substitutes that do not get discussed but need less pulse width at lower flow rates to produce the same HP..... my advice remains to decide what you want to achieve with your money then find the smartest way to spend it.

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Since when do people ever spend their money the smartest way?

Just this morning, in another thread, advice was given to go a certain way with a brake upgrade, but the person still decided to go the way he originally asked. Which will end up costing more than the advice given. It's human nature, people get an idea in their head and go with it regardless of the advice given.

So, having said that, if the OP wants to spend money on a 304 to try and get as much power as he can, then go him. There are smarter ways to spend money where HP is concerned, but then again, big HP doesn't always mean you will have a fast car.

hsv355

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn hsv sv enhanced
i appreciate what your saying! thats why i asked the question to get some understanding on what needs to be done before im standing in front of an engine builder with dollar signs in my eye's!!! i love earlier aussie muscle so the build will still go ahead once the blanks are filled...