Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Building a House

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
If you've contracted builders to do it for you then shouldn't they be dealing with the all that technical stuff? I would have thought that they would have to give the plans to the council first to get the building permit approved... you shouldn't have to worry about much at all except making sure the builder gets the job done on time.

We thought so too. But the builder is kind of doing the minimum he can. He is the cheapest we could find. The total for the house is going to cost $150k. So we are on a really tight budget. So I've been drawing up each floor plan and do all the measurements for it all and hand it to him and he passes it on the his designer guy who draws it up on computer. I draw all the plans to scale and write all the measurements in and the builder kind of just makes a proper floor plan up :p and gets me the price.

He hasn't checked the land etc so he doesn't know anything else apart from what I tell him.

Our block is kinda gay, it's got a retaining wall and therefore the drive way can only be on one side (opposite side from EVERY plan possible!)

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
it depends

each state and suburb has it's own building laws, each area has different requirements, speak to local town planers, as anoyiung as they are, they will save you so much money, dont ask teh builder, they are only human, and dotn know council laws and current town planing requirements/bylaws.

each one is different, what is good for one place, may not fit in at another place, seek profesional advice

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi all,

I'm going to build a new home, I got my land sorted and getting the house designed, I was wondering if anyone had any experience in this sort of matter?

I was wondering how far away from the front of the block the house needs to be away. If anyone could point me in direction. I had a look on the gov housing website but couldn't find anything.

I've seen some with 4.8m from front and some builders say 6m, so I wanted to know the exact figure to position the house as far forward on the block as possible to give most backyard.

mate, just give your local council a buzz and they'll send you out some info.
Your building plans also have to be approved by the council. But just give em a ring, they'll point you in the right direction.

badaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VX S
Is your builder registered, be very careful there are plenty of dodgy one's around.

vsiicalais

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SV6 Storm
im currently building a house, i know for our place the garage is set back 6 metres but the master bedroom is only 4 metres setback. I'd be assuming that all would be similar to the 6 metre setback but dont take my word for it. Our place isnt being started til July or August so our finish date isnt until Feb next year. Wish i could get mine build in a month like you.