Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Building a House

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Hi all,

I'm going to build a new home, I got my land sorted and getting the house designed, I was wondering if anyone had any experience in this sort of matter?

I was wondering how far away from the front of the block the house needs to be away. If anyone could point me in direction. I had a look on the gov housing website but couldn't find anything.

I've seen some with 4.8m from front and some builders say 6m, so I wanted to know the exact figure to position the house as far forward on the block as possible to give most backyard.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
It is dependant on council how far back your block needs to be. No one knows exactly where you live, so best to go visit the knobs that we pay to screw us over, that being the council lol.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
It is dependant on council how far back your block needs to be. No one knows exactly where you live, so best to go visit the knobs that we pay to screw us over, that being the council lol.

Hmm .. you mean the shire/city? which the suburb is located in?
Stupid builders are ghey!! each tells you something different. We are getting a loan through keystart (need flooring, blinds in contract), our finance broker tells us we can go to a store and get a final fixed price to get the flooring done and then put it in with the bank but some builders say you can't do that etc etc. Never get a straight answer either.

Hate sales people.

Edit: Swear builders don't know anything you ask them... they just make up stuff as it comes.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Hmm .. you mean the shire/city? which the suburb is located in?
Stupid builders are ghey!! each tells you something different. We are getting a loan through keystart (need flooring, blinds in contract), our finance broker tells us we can go to a store and get a final fixed price to get the flooring done and then put it in with the bank but some builders say you can't do that etc etc. Never get a straight answer either.

Hate sales people.

That would be the best.

As for all the added extra's, your loan should be bundled to have final price including all that. Just double check your contracts.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Thx Minux! I was looking in the wrong section. I was looking in the Department for Housing and Works instead of just the council. Well I tried ringing my council .... obviously as councils are .... they don't pick up the phone. So I searched on their website and found garages/carport information.

"Carports and garages attached or detached to the dwelling are included in the front 6.0 metres average calculation."

"Garages constructed at right angles to the street may have a minimum setback of 4.5 metres (acceptable development) (a setback of 3 metres is generally not supported)"

From my understanding the minimum would be 4.5m from the front to the garage (but needs to average 6m with the house), so then the house needs to be 7.5m back.

Guess I'll just need to get a confirmation from either my builder or the council.

badaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VX S
Mate I'm building at the moment so good luck with it.

Depends what type of area you are building in. The local government will have some type of regulation on where the house has to be located. Some areas you might only be allowed to have certain colours on the outside of your house, some suburbsdon't permit you to have a fence out the front of your place. There is a new area in Canberra which cats are not permitted.
I would visit the local council and ask some questions.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Mate I'm building at the moment so good luck with it.

Depends what type of area you are building in. The local government will have some type of regulation on where the house has to be located. Some areas you might only be allowed to have certain colours on the outside of your house, some suburbsdon't permit you to have a fence out the front of your place. There is a new area in Canberra which cats are not permitted.
I would visit the local council and ask some questions.

Ah k. Guess that's why the builders don't give me a firm answer. Are you finding it as difficult as me? This is a huge drama for me. We have redesigned a floor plan like 3 times already... the house doesn't resemble their standard plan anymore. I think we are getting to the bottom of it now though.

badaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VX S
Yeah mate it was a nightmare, we had two designs, then it took ages for the government to sign off on it. We have been lucky the guys working on the house are great and are doing a top job but the management side of it is still a nightmare. I'm hoping to be in by the end of july so we will see.

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon
If you've contracted builders to do it for you then shouldn't they be dealing with the all that technical stuff? I would have thought that they would have to give the plans to the council first to get the building permit approved... you shouldn't have to worry about much at all except making sure the builder gets the job done on time.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Yeah mate it was a nightmare, we had two designs, then it took ages for the government to sign off on it. We have been lucky the guys working on the house are great and are doing a top job but the management side of it is still a nightmare. I'm hoping to be in by the end of july so we will see.

Haha. Hope you make it by the end of july! :thumbsup:
My house will have a loooong time till its done...considering it hasnt started :bang:
Hope these builders will get things done on time and not drag it out etc.