Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[202] Building a mild 202

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
So this is for the hj ute we acquired a few years ago
It's rust free so this week I decided I'm building a mild six for it..
Why not huh? Got 2 v8 utes and at least I could drive the six every once in a while

So so far I have aquired
A blue 202 and trimatic..
A 10bolt sailsbury LSD
And a yella terra 12 port head with ajustible yt rockers (got it cheap but I havt paid it off yet the guy is holind it for me though)

So with the block I was thinking of leaving the rods because apparently the blue rods are good?
Get a rebuild kit and get it balanced

Then I was thinking about the bores..
Should I just get standard flat tops or should I be
Thinking like 40thou?

I know I wont be pulling lots of power so I was thinking maybe standard.

And then I was just gonna go a mild street?

Opinions ?

And don't think this isn't happening because I have the block and Im almost payd of the head
I would have the pistons by now but I can't decide with standard or over sized

I kinda want standard cos then I don't have to send it off and fork out cash?
Lol

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
If you want to go standard bore pistons you really need to measure your block and make sure its within spec check for ovality and see if hone pattern is still good. Even if you re-hone a bit yu have to account for size.

Considering a bore and hone only going to set you back $180 its worth just getting done. Also pays to check your crank and make sure its also meets specs.

Basically its best to take block and crank to machine shopget them to check give you a report and go from there.

Look at getting ACL rebuild kit saves youa bit of cash and comes with everything including hi comp pistons. Once machinist give you a report you will know what size bearings and pistons to pick with kit.

Jonno

Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
ohk i was looking at the acl rebuild kits

and is that all i thought boreing and honing would cost alot lol then yeah its worth getting it done

so just go to a engine builder? sweeeeeeeet :)

Jonno

Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
thanks for that link man, i saw it once at school last year and havnt found it scince, i waisted like 1 hour looking for it last night :)

(im not good at google searches)

Jonno

Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
after a geeze that the website iv found one that should be the easiest for me...

Blue/Black 202 block (blue..got)
Blue/Black 3.25" crank (blue..got)
Blue/black rods (blue.. got)
11:1 - 11.5:1 compression
Professionally ported 12 port head w 1.75" and 1.48" valves, or ported YellaTerra 12 port (half payed off a y/t head with ajustible rockers)
Fabricated tuned-length IR manifold w/ six Mikuni HSR42s (thinking maybe something a little easier to aquire)
245 to 250deg @ 0.050" 0.5" to 0.550" lift solid cam (should be easy enough to get)
Shaft mount roller rockers (got y/t ajustibles.. well half got)
HEI or better ignition (or better still, crank triggered) (easy to get)
1.625" x 28" primary pipe extractors with a single 3" x 15" collector (easy to get)

hows that sound??

WALLSHURT

Reaction score
Members Ride
WINGLESS SPRINTCAR
[jonnoo];1950028 said:
after a geeze that the website iv found one that should be the easiest for me...

Blue/Black 202 block (blue..got)
Blue/Black 3.25" crank (blue..got)
Blue/black rods (blue.. got)
11:1 - 11.5:1 compression
Professionally ported 12 port head w 1.75" and 1.48" valves, or ported YellaTerra 12 port (half payed off a y/t head with ajustible rockers)
Fabricated tuned-length IR manifold w/ six Mikuni HSR42s (thinking maybe something a little easier to aquire)
245 to 250deg @ 0.050" 0.5" to 0.550" lift solid cam (should be easy enough to get)
Shaft mount roller rockers (got y/t ajustibles.. well half got)
HEI or better ignition (or better still, crank triggered) (easy to get)
1.625" x 28" primary pipe extractors with a single 3" x 15" collector (easy to get)

hows that sound??
Nah thats ****,std electronic dizzy puts out 80,000 volts and is as good as any aftermarket system,we have raced these for years and tried others,extractors will sound like a tractor if you do it like that,must have 6 into 3,3 into 1 system ,2.5 inch tailpipe,primarys should be around 16" long,adjustable shaft mount yt is the go,blue rods with 2thou clearance,pistons 3thou,ring Moe engines and get cam from there,around 300 bucks,induction up to you,11.5 compression ration is ludicrous,10 max,10.5 with a dizzy to suit,must be recurved to suit 10,5, if you can find a 2850 head that was std on the 6cyl sunbird type torana you will have a good head,then you can recurve the kidney shaped compression chamber to active porting,do some homework!!!

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Anything around 10:1 is fine which is what you get with race series flat top
Standard HEI dissy off blue motor (which you should have) will be fine
Decent paccies extractors would be the go
Yella Terra head will be fine
Solid cam? hmm idk might be ok considering you have adjustable rocker already but its fairly aggressive option
inlet manifold well thats open to discussion i think single carb like a webber would eb the go triple carbs and all that are not real good for street you want something thats going to run right and without hassle of tuning it every week

Remember you want to build a street friendly 202 not a race engine or speedway car.

Jonno

Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
yeah nah this is my homework lol

i was thinking the carby off the falcons? i hear their really good
im 100% open to carby and manifold ideas..

exhaust is not on my mind at all at the moment, im not planning on getting one till the car is painted wired and together

so solid or hydrolic cam i will speak to some engine shops

yeh not planning on building a super six im just after a good lumpy motor that will handle track days and have some kick.

so im after the opinions of carby's manifolds and cam (solid/hydro) oh and also boreing it yes or no

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
I had a falcon weber on the 202 in my torrie before the six came out of it. Good carb, not bad on fuel if you went easy on the throttle but could open it up when you needed to.