Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Building a new PC, old one is dying and to slow

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
as the title say's need a new PC cause the old one is dying. was freezing randomly, have solved that issue for now (i hope) by cleaning out all the dust and crap allowing the case to breathe better.

for now i was just intending to upgrade the motherboard,CPU,RAM using the exsisting case/psu, HDD's/optical drives etc

i have never built my own PC before however it seems better then buying a compete system. after doing some basic research i have found that a lot of systems seem to be fairly mis-matched.

was considering these parts for upgrade

GIGABYTE 880GM-UD2H AM3 DDR3 1800+ Six-core Processor Ready 880G + SB710 DDR3 1800+ HD4250 CrossFireX ready HDMI DVI Raid 0 1 10 JBOD 1394a Gigabit LAN

AMD-Athlon-II-X4-640-3GHz-2MB-Cache-AM3-Quad-Core-

Kingston ValueRam 2GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM

working on a budget here, a real small one as i hadn't planned to upgrade just yet.

with the above MB i should be able to upgrade to a much better CPU later on and add ram as i need it. intend to keep running XP on this system for now.

eventually plan to move everything over to this case Thermaltake Armor+ MX Black Steel Mid Tower Case

what do ya think

D3V14NT

Likes Shiny Things
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP BT1 V6
Seems like a good value for money set up and does give you some room for future expandibility. Nothing worse than scrimping on the motherboard now only to shoot yourself in the foot later.

Can't give you too much of a qualified opinion on the setup as I haven't followed the AMD line up for quite a few years but as far as I can tell it should be a good setup to start with. Don't know if your budget will allow it but maybe look at some slightly quicker RAM like Corsair Dominator or similar. Never been a big fan of on-board graphics but your budget would take a bit of a hit if you were looking for a new GPU as well.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 2002 Executive v6. Ex Patrol Car
If you are really going with that, I don't know why you would want such a good motherboard. Onboard Graphics, but your getting a MB with crossfire compatibility.. Unless you are planning on upgrading as you go, in which case go for it. Nice little setup. Also I know the post is old, did you end up building this?