Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Building a sub box

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Hey guys,

Wanting to build a custom sub box for my VS but not sure on a few things and would like any advice.

First of all, I will be installing 2x Alpine SWX-1243D Type X Subs, with 2x Alpine PDX-M12 Amps.

Just want to know what type of board, how thick should I get it, etc. I just want to know everything that I need to know before I go to bunnings and get what I need.

Already have the carpet that looks very similar to whats already in the boot.

So any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Ben

ward

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs clubsport
G'day mate if you go into show your ride
my vs tunnel ram clubsport
under vr/vs section I have some pic of my install if this what your after
Use mdf about 16mm from memory and want to use insulation in the box
Can give more info if you like this style

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
You do know it's not really as simple as build a box whack a sub in right? There is a method to follow to get the best results.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
You do know it's not really as simple as build a box whack a sub in right? There is a method to follow to get the best results.

Hey guys,

Wanting to build a custom sub box for my VS but not sure on a few things and would like any advice.

I think this is why he's asking..

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
There is a few programs out there that can help you. Just have to google it.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Yeah I know, I want to do it properly, not a dodgy job. This is an idea of what I want:

IMG_0008a_zps3c2ada57.jpg

Ward: That Clubsport is mint! :)

ward

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs clubsport
Thanks scvs6 would be worth also talking to your local auto place to get some ideas or tips and in the end might even be easier to get them to do it good luck

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
If you like, you can provide me with the overall outer dimensions that you have to fit the sub box, assuming you want a simple rectangular enclosure, length, width, and height. Give me the opening dimensions of the boot to ensure it will fit.

Do you want vented or sealed, what is your overall goal? From there i can give you the cutting list so you can give to a CNC cutter then you can assemble it yourself.

18mm is typically the miniumum i use, doubling up on the baffle 36mm(haven't found any imrovements from flush mounting subs to date, better results from thicker baffle) Seperate chambers will minimise the amount of extra bracing you need.

Just saying i want to build a sub box isn't enough info. Also the cut's from bunnings will be out by anywhere as much as 5mm, which can cause all sorts of head aches when putting things together.

Last edited:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Hey guys,

First of all, I will be installing 2x Alpine SWX-1243D Type X Subs, with 2x Alpine PDX-M12 Amps.

Just want to know what type of board, how thick should I get it, etc. I just want to know everything that I need to know before I go to bunnings and get what I need.

Already have the carpet that looks very similar to whats already in the boot.

So any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Ben

Hey Ben, building a box and building a sub box are two totally different things. If your ready for it, good on ya!

List of materials are....

3/4" MDF between 1-2 sheets depending on your enclosure
Liquid nails
1 1/2" wood screws for MDF
Silicone
Spray adhesive
Speaker terminal plate

Pre-drill all your screw holes or the MDF will just split like a ..... banana :D
As well as screwing every panel down... use a bead of liquid nails for good measure.
Every join must be siliconed internally.... and there is a trick to that also!

Start with the front of the box, then glue, screw and silicone the sides on. So the only panel left is the back.
Then glue and screw the rear panel on.
Flip the box and cut out the sub hole use a jigsaw. (usually there is a cardboard template on the box or in the box. Make sure you use the smaller of the two, otherwise that puppy drops right through!)

Once you have cut that hole, vacuum out the box and then you can easily silicone the back panel through the sub holes.

If you go the path of a vented enclosure, I spray matt black into the sides of the vent to cover the raw wood.

Also, don't forget to drill the hole for the speaker terminal (don't laugh, you'll be surprised at how many remember after carpeting...

But seriously mate, there is so much to consider to do it properly but if someone says they want too.... then you ask as many questions as you want you will find many of us here have the answers.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
oh and looking at that photo you posted.... I think you will find that those subs are in a prefab enclosure but the rest is built around that box. Which as can you see.... also works well and often times takes the headache out of the box building... although, never with the same result or the same level of satisfaction.