Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

building high comp 253

VHCOMMO87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
Hello, i would have to say with great pleasure i have one of the most imaculate 253 vh commodore sl/x going aroud, the interior looks like its never been sat on and the outside is rust free and not missing any chrome rubbers or for that matter anything on the car, genuine barn find. Now i was gonna do the whole drop in a 308 like the norm but i would rather keep it all original its to good to stuff around with, the blue 253 in it now drives better that my everyday car with only 138,000 k's so im now thinking of building it into a mild cruiser, just after best way to bring up the compression and torque in the 253 as it will be a street cruiser, and a nice small usable street cam would be good. Im not after huge power because i know its a 253 just a mild v8 cruiser which i would like to keep all original.

Cheers Tom.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Put the 253 aside and put a 308 in. That way you'll have the original engine to put back in later on.

You used to be able to get lumpy top pistons for the 253 - I have a feeling they're available again through precision. 253 head gaskets are $200+ Each from memory too, and only available as mls from what I can remember.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Mild cam, LT1 valve springs, double row timing chain, throated and milled heads, flat tops make for an awesome 253 cruiser...

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Take your matching numbers stocker out...wrap in plastic so & stash it away safely.

Go wild building another fluffy or 5 litre.

Bang for buck probably buy already built 253 cheaply that someone has blown buckets of cash on...there is a reason why larger cubes are better lol

H

harrop.senator

^ Stout advice. 5k will see you a reliable hot 308 possibly bigger if a bargain with a box n usually matching stall for hot motor.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
All you need is to look for the right small cam and std compression pistons deck the block and a bit off the heads std valves will do with 3 angle job and free flowing 2 1/4 exhaust then get the carby jetted for it spot on and this will make for a good performing nice stock type of 253 that goes much better than stock but not a hotted up rat bags hoons engine, as it comes across as stock but goes better than any stock 253.
It's all in the cam, have a real good look into that and get that right for what you want.
To much compression is not good or you will loose power and what octane do you want to run ?

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
don't bother is my thoughts wtf is a mild cruiser? You'll spend a shitton of money and still not have the gutts of a 308 and **** up a good car by putting a cam in it that makes no power under 3000 rpm which leads to changing diff ratios ect if you want power start with the biggest engine you can fit in the hole yes I have had a hot 253 it would beat a stock 308 over a standing 1/4 it wouldn't tow a trailer or do anything useful every servo knew me.

VHCOMMO87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
Cheers for the great advice, you guys has given me something to think about.

VHCOMMO87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
don't bother is my thoughts wtf is a mild cruiser? You'll spend a shitton of money and still not have the gutts of a 308 and **** up a good car by putting a cam in it that makes no power under 3000 rpm which leads to changing diff ratios ect if you want power start with the biggest engine you can fit in the hole yes I have had a hot 253 it would beat a stock 308 over a standing 1/4 it wouldn't tow a trailer or do anything useful every servo knew me.

Lol calm down there big boy don't bust a nut it's just a car, your blood pressure must have more torque than this 308 your on about. I read it as if you were just yelling at me made my ******* day, cheers for your input though I have taken it on board....

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Honestly just a nice exhaust & maybe jump to 3.55 gears especially if it's still got 2.60 gearing will make it a different car.

Brother had similar low mileage silver vh sle with stock 253 in 90's...I refused to cam it or modify engine,only cosmetics lol

Yeah it was slow....was also wicked looking & comfy cruiser that sounded nice...never broke down yet we busted everything on our cars...