Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Built Tough! (Crash @ 80km)

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
That sucks man.............. was that you who put that ridgy didge GPS/camera unit in?? hopefully it pays off!

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
yeah as said before unless you headbutted the steering wheel the air bag did not need to deploy.
they are trigggerd by the rate of deceleration.
and the ve's are a modular setup so a new front end would bolt on very esialy so i would expect a repair job if the damaged dosent extend further into the car then that

Ayden450

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Maloo
ouch, sucks to see a Series II SSV looking like that. Atleast your not hurt.

Nikk_90

TINBUM
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Well, Fun day so far....

Someone decided to pull out infront of me and BAM, only a little time to put my foot on the brake.

Hasent been assesed yet, but looks like it will be a repair job. (****!!!)

I'm Hoping for a write off...

Air Bag didnt go off! Kinda annoyed at that.
And my little camera was damanged aswell.. trying to get a viedeo recording of the accident off now.

firstly ouch. secondly your on the money with it being a repair job. they will spend a lot on it to fix it but wont write it off. have a look at some of the pics in my profile of mine when i did it at 65, both front airbags went off which makes me wonder why yours havn't. i'd definately look into that. cost 20k to fix mine. they even cut the front crumple rails and welded new ones on, was not happy. good luck with it though.

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
firstly ouch. secondly your on the money with it being a repair job. they will spend a lot on it to fix it but wont write it off. have a look at some of the pics in my profile of mine when i did it at 65, both front airbags went off which makes me wonder why yours havn't. i'd definately look into that. cost 20k to fix mine. they even cut the front crumple rails and welded new ones on, was not happy. good luck with it though.

what did you hit?
he hit a little tissue box that most likly got shunted out of the way or pushed down the road dispersing the energy from the crash

Nikk_90

TINBUM
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
what did you hit?
he hit a little tissue box that most likly got shunted out of the way or pushed down the road dispersing the energy from the crash

It was a magna wagon. Didn't even touch the brakes so maybe thats why mine went off. Still suprising that at 80 they didn't go off

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
have a look at some of the pics in my profile of mine when i did it at 65, both front airbags went off which makes me wonder why yours havn't. i'd definately look into that.

He was travelling at 80km/h, but looks like he's sit a 'soft target'. The side of that POS has crumpled right in, so that's where a lot of the force has been absorbed. He could have been doing half the speed and hit something harder (or worse yet something moving towards him), and done a hell of lot more damage. As already said, the airbags dont deploy based on speed- they do so based on force. 80km/h side on into another car is much softer than 60 or 40km/h into a brick wall.

OP, I know you would have preferred to have your car written off... but if the other guy had been a second later he would have T boned you instead of you T boning him, it wouldnt have been pretty with you getting hit on the drivers side. It sucks having to have your car repaired instead of written off, but least your body is in one piece and doesnt need 'repairs' either.

Last edited:

IceyAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Series II Sedan
OP, I know you would have preferred to have your car written off... but if the other guy had been a second later he would have T boned you instead of you T boning him,

He was just taking off, no more than 5kmph. I was doing 80km

it wouldnt have been pretty for you hitting you on the drivers side. It sucks having to have your car repaired instead of written off, but least your body is in one piece and doesnt need 'repairs' either.
He would of hit the passenger side door. I was going strait, he was turning Right in front of me

If he hit me in the side, I woudnt mind so much as not alot of damage would of been done to the engin and bay.

But now the engin bay is farked, and if they repair it, never comes out like a new car would.

was that you who put that ridgy didge GPS/camera unit in?? hopefully it pays off!

Yep, Was me.
The damn thing hit the screen hard and then dropped. Still trying to see if i can recover the data