Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Built Tough! (Crash @ 80km)

IceyAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Series II Sedan
Ive managed to get 3 frames from the camera.
One 1.43 seconds before the crash
One 1.05 seconds after the intinal hit
And the last one 3.44 seconds after the crash

Once i have sent the orginals to the insurance company i will upload them on here tonight.
There is a nice shot of him looking at me on the first shot.
Speed on the pictures go from 73k to 50k after the hit

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
a deceleration od 23k's would explain nicely why there were no airbags deployed his **** box took most of the force.
i wonder if he realises how lucky he was only be hit by a car with its impact rails so low to the ground you can clarly see in your photos that you car exerted most of its force into his sill and floor not his right hip

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
In the first picture with him looking at you, I bet his face would be priceless.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Firstly, glad to see you are OK. It's only a car, and if you walk away from a crash then the car did exactly what it was designed to do.

Secondly, for those people who don't know when an airbag should go off, it or they as the case may be, are triggered by various sensors in the car. These sensors measure the rate of deceleration, not speed of impact or even the impact itself. If the rate of deceleration is the the same or higher than that of the car hitting a solid object at 40km/h or greater, then the airbags will deploy. You can hit something at 100km/h and not have them go off if your deceleration is not quick enough. The fact that they didn't go off means the cars crumple zones, (and the one you hit) worked as designed. You will find that your seat belt restraining system will need replacing though, they work off a slower decel rate and actually pull you in tighter to the seat when you hit something. The seats themselves will probably require replacing as well, they take a fair bit of force in a crash. It's not just the damage you see that contributes to being a write off, seat belts, seats and even the steering wheel can have damage in an impact. (Why the steering wheel? It's natural instinct to stiffen your arms when you are about to hit and the wheel can bend out of shape.)

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
I think the other driver is very lucky to be seemingly uninjured, he may be sore today, however taking the full impact he is lucky not to have been killed.

Glad the OP is ok also. Cars can be replaced, people can't.

SUS.SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SERIES II WAGON
u rather a write off ari666 than repair it. i speak the TRUTH MATE

Slick6

Reaction score
Website
www.perthfilms.com
Members Ride
Phantom SSV
Good to see everyone's alright and the car performed well under the circumstances.

u rather a write off ari666 than repair it. i speak the TRUTH MATE

It's hard to make any call without seeing the damage in person, knowing how much the car is worth to insurance co or what the car is worth as a salvage. All factors taken into consideration when determining a 'writeoff'.

Unfortunately as ari666 mentioned it's just panels buy the look of the crash. Its certainly not bad enough to warrant a non repairable write off.

I hate to say it but it's a high chance of repair. The corolla on the other hand is heading to the scrap pile :)

SUS.SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SERIES II WAGON
dont worry icey, insurance will pay you out. FOR SURE!! side panels everything is bent, even the mid frame i noticed