Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bull Bar Ban

CHANDLC

BushBasher
Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 V6 VS LEXCEN
Just wondering what peoples thoughts were on this, I have a bull bar and i recon its great but I Know other people have other opinions which is fine but to ban them because if someone hits someone walking across the road it can injure them more or kill them is a bit far fetched, what if a car with out a bull bar hits a person and that person comes threw the windscreen, causeing you to go out of control into a crowded foot path killing say 5 or more people, it could easiely happen. But in saying that I'm not saying every car should have a bull bar but why ban them if someone walks out in front of a car with or with out a bull bar their going to get hurt, or worse.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
A mate of mine has a sticker that says: "A bullbar in the bush is worth more than a pedestrian in the city" Pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter. Out here away from the city they're essential, y'all cityfolk need to understand that. :)

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
heck i think it'd be cheaper if i smacked my flexable aluminum into the back of a ricer than if i let my front end explode on contact

i love my roobar, it makes a good seat, reduces my "hoon" image, stops snobby chicks from liking my car because its not cool enough for them ( if my car isnt cool enough then i wont be by a mile! )

i like the style, it gives me an AWESOME length guage so now i can confidently park and turn places without worrying about scraping anything

im against the ban, i mean if theyre gonna ban bull bars in the city then they should ban cars which exceed a certain ride height ( dont want peds going under and splatting their head on the road backward do we? ) and also 4x4's that meet certain specs ( tire size, suspension height etc, i.e. the really jacked up ones )

i mean if i was walking, i would rather go over a ricer than under a 4x4.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
lol, look at that hunk of metal on the front of your car though chandlc. you could demolish a small building with that! imagine what it would do to a person.
i can see this issue from both sides of the fence though, on one side it can be potentially fatal for anyone struck by a car with a bull bar (potentiallly fatal..more so than a car without)..on the otherside its very likely your going to get injured yourself (not to mention absolutely total your car) if you run into something while driving around in the sticks (ie, a roo).
its a bit of a toughy...

CHANDLC

BushBasher
Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 V6 VS LEXCEN
As you can problerly tell I come from out west (Hughenden & Cloncurry) and still do alot of traveling out that way, we done a trip to Toowoomba threw Emarald a couple of weeks ago and if it wasent for my bull bar I wouldn't have a car, but at the same time we werent locking the wheels up or swerving erratically neither which makes it a safer trip. Another sticker I've seen is.... Don't Ban Bull Bars Ban Stupid Pedestrians.........

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
YES! ban stupid peds!

as for the wheel locking thing, yep ive done that a couple of times, which is why i learnt that it is wise to keep at or just below the speed limits especially in thick suburbia.

personally as far as i see copping a bullbar waist down is the same as copping a bumper knee down, one way or another its gonna hurt like hell and odds are the peds face will end up in the same spot ( bonnet / windscreen )

mine is, again, a light slightly flexible roobar, and in all honesty if i were to hit a roo it would make more noise but still bend pretty badly.

oh thats a point, does anyone have one of those abs plastic "bumber replacement" roobars? i wonder how they would fare in a bingle.

but again, i dont feel that bullbars are any more or less dangerous than say a VS with a v8 supercar kit on it.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
the whole deal with why bull bars are supposedly more dangerous is this. if you got hit (lets say in the leg) by a car without a bull bar, you might break or fracture the bone, roll over the bonnet and come to rest on (or through?) the windscreen. ending up with scratches, bruises, maybe a broken bone or two, etc..
but if you got hit by a bull bar, your bone isnt going to break...it will shatter. and there will be no rolling over the bonnet slowing down and absorbing the impact afterwards, you'll either go under the wheels, or get thrown.
a much more serious and potentially fatal situation, so thats where these people trying to ban them are coming from.

CHANDLC

BushBasher
Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 V6 VS LEXCEN
I see it from that side but like I said in the first post (what if a car with out a bull bar hits a person and that person comes threw the windscreen, causeing you to go out of control into a crowded foot path killing say 5 or more people) I say every one to them self, but if I choose to have one I should be allowed to, I know your not saying I shouldn't have one, I just get the shits with all these stupid laws because of stupid people.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
They should be allowed int he worlds of rednecks(like where your from) but in a town whee there is alot of pedestrians they should be banned, they are not needed in town like most of these morons use them.