Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bullbar ADR Question

Lunchbox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8 Ute
Hey all,
So long story short I have a bullbar on my VS ute and a couple months ago got a defect for having a non-compliant bullbar.

I've been looking into it and have so far found that from 1/1/1995 all passenger vehicles from then on with a bullbar must comply with ADR 69 (Full Frontal Impact Occupant Protection). My ute is '97 and figure I'm no good.

I was wondering if anybody knew anymore about this? Also VG, VN, VP, VR, VS are all the same shape so could I have an exception or am I just out of luck because of the year of manufacturer?

Any help appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I reckon you're out of luck due to date of manufacture.

Lunchbox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8 Ute
Yeah, bugger. I've read elsewhere vehicles from 1/1/03 must comply but it isn't a topic a lot of people know to talk about haha.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What makes them believe the bar is non-compliant? Maybe post up a pic and also research the manufacturer. Brand new cars have compliant bars fitted. I have a VS loop bar fitted to my bus and it is ADR compliant.

Lunchbox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8 Ute
The officer put on the defect paper it is leaning forward and is above bonnet line, I did go to the place of manufacture and the guy said it was compliant at the time but he couldn't tell me if it was or wasn't by today's standard.

Attachments

• PSX_20190423_200531.jpg
    PSX_20190423_200531.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 256

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That is a substantial bar. Below is mine this bar is currently ADR compliant.
bar.jpg
yeah the forward lean is generally not allowed anymore. If you check ARB ADR compliant bars on 4WDs they lean back. Few blokes wanted to use an imported bar on their Jeeps a few years back and couldn't because the bars had bits sticking out. Bit like yours but even more pronounced.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'd be certainly looking into it because if it was compliant on a vehicle of that build date at the time, it might still be.

Lunchbox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8 Ute
Yeah I've been keeping an eye out for an almost slimmer version of mine but it might take a while being Tassie haha.
I mean it doesn't lean forward as the officer was trying to tell me, it rakes forward and is is flush, but yeah definitely looks the part. Plus that goes along with having no unnecessary gap, wouldn't get that with a lean back haha.
Yeah it's a bit of an odd ball, for now I'll assume it's not compliant but the search still goes on.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Who built the bar, north Tas or south? We're the number one BB state. I reckon 30% of cars here have bars.

Lunchbox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8 Ute
Up North in Launny, United Welding. Yeah they're definitely about aren't they haha