Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bump Steer? How can I stop it?!

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Even with the stock setup my VN has always handled better than the family's VS commodore except for in one area.. and thats bump steer.

Over large bumps it really pulls the steering wheel to one side, something that doesnt happen in the VS.

So is there anything I can do or buy to overcome this? Why does the VN do it, but the VS not?

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
ball joint..

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Has your VN got wider tyres than the VS? The wider the tyres, the worse you get it in my experience. Other than that, possibly worn steering components. If it was me, i'd wait and see how you go with the new wheels and tyres when you get them.

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Have you had the steering geometry checked out? A proper inspection should tell you if it an alignment problem or a design fault.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Check your panhard rod bushes. If they are worn your diff housing will have a fair amount of side movement which will make your car dart all over the place. The VS could have independant rear suspension which handles the bumps better than solid axle Commodores.

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
imo dont drive over bumps hehehe
it will prob be the low profile tyres
with wider tyres they like to do a thing called tracking, thats when the tyres follow the groves in the road and if your not paying attention cause you to veer off the road. also when they hit bumps they have a tendancy to turn into the bump depending on what side it was on.

the thing is the bigger the rim the worse it gets
i noticed it most wheni went from 14 inch rims on my hz to 17's and with a slightly loose steering box and no power steering it allways went where it wanted and bump steer was bad as

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Tree cutter said:
Check your panhard rod bushes. If they are worn your diff housing will have a fair amount of side movement which will make your car dart all over the place. The VS could have independant rear suspension which handles the bumps better than solid axle Commodores.

Nah just had all the panhard bushes replaced when I fitted my new whiteline on car adjustable panhard bar. And nah the VS aint IRS.

vt1538 said:
Have you had the steering geometry checked out? A proper inspection should tell you if it an alignment problem or a design fault.

Yeah had all that checked about 3,000km's ago after I had a bit of a incident with a medium strip driving home from a party at 4am :p popped the two drivers side tyres...

Shortstuff said:
Has your VN got wider tyres than the VS? The wider the tyres, the worse you get it in my experience. Other than that, possibly worn steering components. If it was me, i'd wait and see how you go with the new wheels and tyres when you get them.

Yeah It does have wider tyres than the VS... So I guess thats it?

xcop5l said:
imo dont drive over bumps hehehe
it will prob be the low profile tyres
with wider tyres they like to do a thing called tracking, thats when the tyres follow the groves in the road and if your not paying attention cause you to veer off the road. also when they hit bumps they have a tendancy to turn into the bump depending on what side it was on.

the thing is the bigger the rim the worse it gets
i noticed it most wheni went from 14 inch rims on my hz to 17's and with a slightly loose steering box and no power steering it allways went where it wanted and bump steer was bad as

Well that kinda sucks. Im going from 16" 225's to 19" 245's soon so thats gonna suck majorly!

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
if your on 16's now it will just be a standard thing with the bump steer my vns got a bit but it got worse (not much)when i lowerd it it changes the geometry of the front end, the steering reacts differntly so dose the suspension.
just feel the difference when you get the rims and you will know what im on about

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
xcop5l said:
if your on 16's now it will just be a standard thing with the bump steer my vns got a bit but it got worse (not much)when i lowerd it it changes the geometry of the front end, the steering reacts differntly so dose the suspension.
just feel the difference when you get the rims and you will know what im on about

Hmm bugger. Ah well the 19's will be worth it :D