Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bumper armour for Evokes.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Sorry for the tardy response and thanks to all who replied. The road in question was humped up in the centre and sharp fall away to the sides to allow for drainage. I think it was more the road than the servo driveway. Anyway, I had a guy come in and fix it at my home (Melbourne suburbs). Brilliant bloke. He's on Facebook if you want to look at his work, just search " Paul the Painter Scratch & Dent Mobile" and his page should pop up. By the way, I get no financial kick back...just relating the information. He was at my house from 10.20 in the morning until 3.30 in the afternoon. Did a terrific job...masked the area so carefully and put the whole car in a plastic bag to prevent overspray! All that for $320 ! Not bad!
Back to my original question... is the pattern at the bottom of the VF Evoke bar the same as that on the higher models. To me the lower lip on the Evoke and the SV6 look the same. Maybe I need glasses! :p:D;)

Did you have a picture of the before damage? I kissed a kerb a while back and have been wanting to get something done about it and wanted to compare.

$320 seems very good value.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
I "know" they are different, and that the SV6 is a little more pokey-outey and "aggressive".
But given that this "knowledge" has no support that I can recall (I must have read it somewhere but since I can't say where I have little trust in the original source), it may be totally wrong!
It's a shame I'm in Sydney, I've got a set of Sports Armour I haven't fitted yet (yes saving it for a rainy day, dunno why, I'm almost as bad as my uncle who had aftermarket floot-mats over the OEM Holden ones when we bought his minty 10yo VS Berlina off him :)) and we could've done a quick test-fit to check.
What a kind offer! Thanks!

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
Did you have a picture of the before damage? I kissed a kerb a while back and have been wanting to get something done about it and wanted to compare.

$320 seems very good value.
No...I'm kicking myself that I didn't but I can provide a mock-up image of where the damage was...(My car is black but I've used white for the Photoshop to highlight the damage)
1633487144919.png

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
OK looking at two eBay ads,

s-l500.jpg
s-l500.png

... LHS is Evoke, RHS is SV6.

I suspect they differ, although the images aren't perfect, have a look at the passenger's side of the bottom of the bumper, the Evoke looks like it's almost a constant arc underneath the vent/lights cutout whereas the SV6 has a compound-curve made up a few different arcs.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
OK looking at two eBay ads,

s-l500.jpg
s-l500.png

... LHS is Evoke, RHS is SV6.

I suspect they differ, although the images aren't perfect, have a look at the passenger's side of the bottom of the bumper, the Evoke looks like it's almost a constant arc underneath the vent/lights cutout whereas the SV6 has a compound-curve made up a few different arcs.
Yep...I can see the difference. Oh well...there's a market niche some enterprising company might explore in future. Thanks for your research.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
No...I'm kicking myself that I didn't but I can provide a mock-up image of where the damage was...(My car is black but I've used white for the Photoshop to highlight the damage)
View attachment 227796

Cheers so fine scratches along the bar lower edge?

My booboo has results in probably 5-7mm wide flaking off of the paint, about 150mm long. Might take some pictures and see what your man thinks.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
Cheers so fine scratches along the bar lower edge?

My booboo has results in probably 5-7mm wide flaking off of the paint, about 150mm long. Might take some pictures and see what your man thinks.
Well, I couldn't recreate the exact effect in my photo editor but, yes, my bumper had sections where the paint had been shaven off with deep grooved scratches. Paul (the repairer) sanded the area down, used a special filler activated with super glue, of all things, and then the ruts were gone...then it was a matter of undercoating and then spraying on the base coat, then the clear. He uses a big infrared heater to speed up the primer and paint drying time. The thing looks like a massive electric bar heater.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
used a special filler activated with super glue, of all things,
Was the filler a white powder?

Bi-Carb Soda is often used as a filler/repairer and when superglue is added it goes hard…

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
Was the filler a white powder?

Bi-Carb Soda is often used as a filler/repairer and when superglue is added it goes hard…

I can't tell you...all I can tell you is the method. He had a soft cloth which was already impregnated with the powder. He put a drop of the superglue on it and quickly rubbed it into the scratches.