Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Burble between gear changes or engine braking.. Mixture out??

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
i thought this was normal for an engine my mates vz ss ute when he idles down going down gears at night u can sometimes see flames coming out his exhaust, he has pacemakers into dual 2 1/2 inch with high flow cats into twin dumpers

V8's are more known to do it then V6's :thumbsup:

rocco555

Reaction score
Members Ride
E46 M3
is normal, nothing wrong, if you like the sound of it then just enjoy it

to get rid of it you'll have to make changes to your exhaust system (mufflers etc.)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
V8's are more known to do it then V6's :thumbsup:

it's to do with firing order and the pressure waves colliding in the exhaust. it's the same reason why LS1'a sound puss from the factory. they changed the firing order to smooth things out:D

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
I get the burble/ popping in my VN 5 speed. i love it haha

M01ST

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VF SSV Redline, 02 VU SS Ute
I get it in my vs on some occasions only ever when Ive been driving longer then 30 minutes

JA2Z

Reaction score
Website
www.studiomarban.com
Members Ride
VT 5L, WH LS1 Stato (Daily), TDCi Focus, Probe V6
Ok update.

I definately agree the burble sound is quite good, but something is not quite right, this is too loud.

So, I nipped up the Cat bolts quite hard let her idle to op temp then took her out for a hard drive....

Drove around for a bit and for the first bit good then, the same..... rev--- 3,500 - 2nd - rev--- hit about 3,000 and it started the load burble (aeroplane) sound again -- 5,000 - 3rd - Sh*t better slow down --- burble, burble, fart, burble - stop.

Drove home and left her and didn't think about it again for a while. took her out later that night.......

Fixed... Still had a beautiful rumble and burble when driving, but that aeroplane sounding note was gone. i guess it was the gaskets leaking, not tight enough, being nipped up tighter and heated up and cooled down must have set them in place. And that's all it needed.

Cheers

Last edited: