Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

burn my bridges?

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
Do we work together and somehow dont know each other Jecs? lmao. Ive had each and every 1 of the things you outlined said to me as well.
Some of them I understand from the business owner side of things. But the 1 that pisses me off is the 'You should be 15minutes early'. Get ####ed. You gonna pay me for that extra 65hrs/yr? No. Especially pisses me off when I stop getting payed at 5.30pm and I rarely leave before 5.40-5.45 as well.
IMO Id write a letter outlining the points you have issues with and thats why youur leaving. And then yeah if they decide to be ass's about it then later on tell them to get ####ed. lol

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
Dude, seriously, leave nice and don't burn the bridge, it dosn't give you any advantage to do so

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Tell him to take his job, lube it up nice and good, and jam it side ways up his fat ass!

I hate it when employers constantly hang your job over your head as if its the last one you could ever have. There's plenty other fish in the sea, tell the fat **** to do a get a blow job and get over himself.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
the toilet and lunch issues I dont see the problem with. Just about everywhere gets 30minutes... maybe start packing your lunches? An hour to take a dump? ####! Take some fibre as the guy said above or get some medical help.

crazyspoon05

Penguin Whisperer
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VW Golf GTI (RIP The 'Bizta' VNVPVR Wagz)
Don't know why you're complaining about 30 minutes for lunch, especially when you actually have the chance to get a full 30 minutes and have the chance to go somewhere to get food (for what it's worth bringing your lunch in with you will save you a surprising amount of money across a year)

There's a lot of workers out there who would love to be able to sit down for a full 30 minutes or even just get out of the building for a while but can't

As for excessive chatting and mobile phone use it doesn't matter 'if others are doing it as well' as if you're that adamant about not giving the company any extra time by coming in early to work then you should also be adamant about giving your employer total commitment during the times you are on the clock (that's where it annoys me that smokers seem to think they have the right to a full 30 minute break on top of wasting 'paid' time extra having smoko's)

As for excessive time on the toilet I'd be concerned as an employer as well as you coiuld just be going in there to slack off at my expense and not be in there for 'legitimate reasons'

At the end of the day if you feel as though the job is not going to help you get to wherever your career goals are and there's no scope for advancement then start looking for other work

However what happens if you don't like driving for your old man and you apply for a job somewhere that will call your last place you worked at regardless of if you have them as a reference or not and you've left a trail of bitterness and anger ?

If you want to leave give your notice and discuss the reasons without getting angry or blaming others as you really don't know when you'll cross paths with people again (I had one co-worker who made my life hell at one venue I worked at and then they appeared as a new sales rep at another venue I was at, needless to say the company he was with lost our account and we went with their biggest rival)

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
some of the things they’ve said to us.
- we shouldnt be in the toilet so long
if it takes me an hour to push out a nugget the size of my finger nail, im'a take that hour. cause shittin is in the top 3 things i like to do.
Interestingly, during lunch/smoko breaks, the toilet is rarely used however the amount of people who need a crap straight before/after does astound me.

- i shouldnt be talking to matt (other employee i work with)
hes the only other guy i work with. the way they made it sound, it was like i slashed a disabled persons tyres on his wheel chair. from a 2-5 min convo about what he got up to on the w.e
As above - talking whilst working should be fine, stopping for a 1/2 hour chat is not.

- you should go to toilet on ur lunch break, eat on ur lunch break, make any personal phone calls on ur lunch break and do any personal things on ur lunch break.
Overall what is wrong with that??? As a general rule, it's correct

im going to let chris rock do this one:
A half-hour lunch break? By the time you put on your jacket, walk around the corner, go to the sandwich spot, order a sandwich, wait for them to make it, then get on another line to pay for it, 28 minutes have passed. Now you rushing back to work, you're eating your sandwich, you're spilling beer down your shirt. And when you get in, your boss got the nerve to go, 'hey, man, you're eight
minutes' F**K YOU! 'do you realize even criminals in jail get a hour lunch break?'
1/2 hour lunch break is the norm in industry these days. 1 Hour is very unusual. I'm happy with 10 min most days.

-we should be at work 15 mins early
I get asked why im 2 mins late back from lunch but they expect me to start 15 mins early?
You should be at work ready to start at the designated time - I can see the boss's sentiment but it won't work.

Even thought they are the boss, i feel double standards. Like they recently got a guy in and blocked all the websites we’d been on. For some it was facebook, youtube etc. i had hotmail running while i worked, it didn’t effect me having it on. I always had my work done on time, and only looked when i had a free min or two. So to block it really pissed me off. but i lost my **** when i walk past the bosses office and the fkn bitch is on skype and facebook.
Yep - there are double standards. As an employer, I'm guilty of them daily - taking time off when I want, pretty much coming and going as I please etc. The flip side is the trips to the factory at 3:00am to shut off the alarm because some tool didn't shut the rear door properly + no end of other "above and beyond" issues I deal with on a daily basis that nobody sees, knows about or really cares. I guess my point is, don't worry about the other guy does/doesn't do, concentrate on you.

matt kissed one of the girls on the head, It was joke. She saw it and called him into her office, and told him off and gave him the sexual harassment speech even though the girl he did it too loved it and was fine with it. But its ok for her husband to write a text to her saying ‘you’ve been putting things in your mouth you shouldn’t be :)’ after she had tonsillitis.
Sexual harassment is a minefield for an employer. The first part I would probably do myself, part 2 would be off limits in a work situation no-matter how well I knew the girl. That said, it's really none of your concern

But this took the fkn cake for me. My boss is heavy set guy, i walk into the office and everyone is around him layin on the ground. Im like whats the go here? Boss ‘YOUR LATE!’ like is this c**t serious WTF? im early? Me and a delivery driver sit him up, and he goes ‘I WAS DOING UR JOB! AND ROLLED MY ANKLE’ im like ye watever. this is the 3rd time ive seen him fall over at work, hes blames everyone/thing other than the fact that hes that heavy his ankles collapse from under him.
Not sure I follow this one

Theres been alot of other things but im not going to list.

Really it depends if you want to persevere with the job or not. If that is your preferred option, have a quiet chat to the boss explaining you aren't happy with how you are treated and point out the staff turnover issue as further evidence that others don't like it either. Be calm, polite and also clear that you aren't happy.

If you would prefer to go driving the truck, then I'd get your HR (or whatever) license and then resign. I wouldn't go burning bridges as you never know what might happen down the track, particularly if your boss is a friend. If you are asked why you are leaving, just say you aren't happy with how you are treated and have decided to move on.

My $0.02 worth anyway

Reaper

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Mate know exactly what you mean, my first employer was the same. So many are, I guess you can either take the **** they give you, try and make them recognize you and respect you or leave.

As far as burning the bridge, there's really not much point in it - all you get is a bit of satisfaction. It takes less of your time and effort to shrug it off and move on, you're the better guy by doing that - those pricks will probably be like that for the rest of their lives, main thing is that you can change and see whats happening around you so you don't get really stubborn and stuck in a rut lol.

best of luck with it mate hope you sort it out.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
unfortunately it's all to common to have employers that only focus's on the negative. my manager being one of them. i guess at the end of the day you have 2 options, put up with it or move on.

i've been putting up with it for almost 4 years now. the first 6 months in the job were great, then one day he got a bee in his bonnet about something and has been on my case ever since. ever since i float between on this **** list to being ignored. all he ever does is come down to the factory floor and look for something to complain about. should he find something he then goes away and sends one of his supervisors down to do his dirty work and give us a bollocking. my normal response is to tell the said supervisor that the manager is a pussy and he should come down to the shop floor to do his own dirty work.

there was a incident about 6 months ago, i came in on a night shift, our department scheduler was on leave and the manager was doing it instead. the entire shift was completely short staffed and was a total disaster waiting to happen. i made a comment to the supervisor about it and he blamed the manager and then said make do (and then went home for the day) so i ended up stopping another machine and using the staff from there to complete my first job for the night. we then juggled staff between machines for the rest of the shift and were fortunate that there was a breakdown in the press room which pushed one of our jobs back about 4 hrs which took the load of us to some extent. anyway i was real pissed off about the staffing levels so i made a comment about it on the machine log. a couple weeks later the 3 operators/tradesman on our shift were all called into the office along with the supervisor at which time the manager gives me a huge bollocking for the comments i made and the bad attitude i have and that i need to get with the program or maybe it's time i find another job. both my work mates are sitting there fairly shocked but when they are questioned my workmate (who has worked with this particular manager for the better part of 20years) agreed with my comments and my assessment of the situation but the manager quickly cuts him off as well. the supervisor who had previously blamed the manager for the staffing stuff up has done a complete about face and is now backing the manager. this last for about 1-1.5hrs after the meeting i'm pissed and i don't appreciated been threatened so about 2hrs later i take a copy of my time sheet/machine log and go see the site GM and tell him in no uncertain terms that i don't appreciate having my job threatened and that the manager needs to get real. i also made it clear that if there are further problems with the department manager that i will make formal complaints. so now i'm on the **** list again but he's staying clear of me.

the sad part is, our shift is the most productive shift of the 4 shifts at work and yet we seem to cop the most flak from the manager/supervisors but when the **** hits the fan they come to us to sort it out. case and point, i was on annual leave during the xmas period. during that time there were various problems on my machine, every man and his dog had a go fiddling with things but the couldn't get it sorted so i was expected to fix it when i returned to work this week which i did however what was wrong should have been fixed by the maintenance department (who had tried but failed).

it's gotten so bad over the years that the manager has tried to blame me when one of his supervisors stuffed up a job and the same said supervisor has been claiming credit for my hard work and ideas with senior management.

our last GM was such a asshole that he would dock you 4hrs if you clocked in one second late or clocked out 1 second early and yet he expected people to come in early and stick around to do a hand over at the end of the shift and they wonder why now everybody clocks in 10 minutes before the start of the shift and then go and sit outside and don't come back in till exactly 6am/pm when the shifts start/finish.

at the end of the day, poor quality management/management practices will lead to unproductive work environments with lots of conflict but for the love of god they will never see themselves as the problem. when i went back to my current employer someone said to me how much the place had changed. it really is funny how right and wrong they were with that statement. yes, there are many new staff (read high staff turnover) and there is plenty of new equipment however the company is still making the same basic mistakes they were making 20 year ago and the only common denominator left is those senior managers that have been there from day zip (that being my manager)

i used to stress and worry about it, started noticing the side effects of all that stress so now i just don't give a damn any more. i know that i'm better at what i do then my boss ever was and i can do it better then anybody there with my equipment we have and occasionally i prove it and the rest of the time i like to stir the pot :D

Last edited:

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
If the industry that you work in is hugely interconnected like mining (where I work) then don't do it. Seen many mates tell their boss to get farked and then have major difficulties getting a job later on as everyone knows eachother.

If its not, then go for it.

I have done it once and it has almost come back to bite me but that was nearly 10 years ago.