Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Burning CDs for your factory Blaupunkt headunit

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi fellas,

I thought to write this little thread since I haven't seen it lurking around in the forums.

I've noticed that the Blaupunkt headunit in the VZ is very picky with CDs. It only seems to accept the genuine audio CDs. In most cases it will not play CDs that are burned in your average CD/DVD writer.

The aim here is to make a CD with specifications close enough to Red Book CDs - the ones you buy at your music store, recognized by all CD players. Through trial and error, I've managed to find my own way of successfully burning CDs that are playable in the factory headunit. Thought to share it with you guys.

Now I'm sure some of you will say why not just buy an aftermarket headunit? The reasons for me not doing so:
  • The factory unit is perfectly fine for me.
  • Would rather spend the money for the headunit on something else.
  • Don't want to ruin the appearance of the centre console.
  • Don't want to lose steering wheel controls and some dash functions.

Well then, here we go!
Getting started, what you'll need:
  • CD-R - I'm emphasizing only CD-R (CD-RW or other wont work)
  • CD/DVD writer - The ones that come with your computer/laptop will work fine.
  • Burning program - This one works wonders, and its free too! Download and install. burrrn.net – The home of Burrrn and Mr QuestionMan » Burrrn
  • Songs - Its best if your songs are in FLAC or WAV format, since these preserve the original quality of the music (FLAC is a form of compressed WAV). MP3's are OK, but they won't have that flawless sound quality as WAV or FLAC.

Getting ready to burn your CD-R:
  1. With the CD-R now in your writer, open up Burrrn.
  2. Drag your songs into Burrrn's playlist. If all your songs are from one source (e.g. one album), be sure to un-mark ReplayGain. This function is only needed if your songs are from different sources, meaning their sound volumes may vary dramatically. You can only fit a maximum of 17 or 18 songs on one CD-R. No more than 80 minutes of music, otherwise CD-R may not play.
  3. Choose either 8x or 12x for the writing speed. This is to ensure optimum compatibility of your CD-R with the headunit.
  4. Make sure the "Close CD" checkbox is ticked.
  5. Be sure to close all windows (no not the ones that let in the nice breeze and sunshine lolz). You're ready to Burrrn ! :D

Notes:
  • While burning, LEAVE YOUR COMPUTER ALONE!!! The computer needs to focus on burning the CD-R. If you start opening windows and other programs during the burning process, you might well end up with a CD-R that wont play.
  • Process only takes about 5 minutes... just be patient lol

Hope this helps guys :thumbsup: Enjoy those beats! :dance:

Last edited:

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
awesome write up! Cheers

Slipper

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VZ SV6 A5
LOL this is funny, especially the part about leaving your computer alone whilst burning, this isn't 1995 your CD will not become "corrupted" if you surf the net whilst burning, the built in burning function in windows media player in w7 works wonderfully and is foolproof, itunes also has great burning software built in, nevertheless good writeup for new players :D

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
I've had good luck using WMP's built in CD burning function with CD-R Issues with burning while your using the PC shouldn't occur with a newish PC and operating system.
FLAC and WAV are the best but MP3's at the highest bit rate are also pretty good, they may sound differnet in your home setup but in a car with the standard speakers would be fine.

Phyco

Alloytec and Proud
Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ Acclaim Sedan
I've noticed that the Blaupunkt headunit in the VZ is very picky with CDs. It only seems to accept the genuine audio CDs. In most cases it will not play CDs that are burned in your average CD/DVD writer.
While this guide will definitely be helpful for some, this has never been an issue for me. I have used numerous brands of audio cds, all burnt at 48x or 52x by either Nero or iTunes with no playback issues. Obviously if you attempted to play a Data CD with either WAV or MP3 files it would not work, as these head units are not intended to play any form of data file.

Last edited:

SH.00.MA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 5.7L
Im in the same boat as Phyco, when i had the stock unit i burned tons of music cds using ashampoo at w/e speed and the headunit played all of them, but because its just a basic cd player i chucked it and got an mp3 dvd unit so dont have to swap dvds very often.

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
Use Windows Media player for burning. Never had an issue with playing these in the Blaupunkt.

Appreciate the write-up though.

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
While this guide will definitely be helpful for some, this has never been an issue for me. I have used numerous brands of audio cds, all burnt at 48x or 52x by either Nero or iTunes with no playback issues. Obviously if you attempted to play a Data CD with either WAV or MP3 files it would not work, as these head units are not intended to play any form of data file.

Hi mate, that's funny since that's how I tried it at first: 48x - 52x as an audio CD, not a data CD. All attempts failed. Nero, iTunes, WMP, you name it. By reducing speed and coming closer to 12x, the player would only sometimes accept the CDs. 12x turned out to be the best for me.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I burn on Windows Media Player, too and have never had a problem on the Blaupunkt. Nearly all the discs I play are burnt.

Trent L

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Calais 190Kw
I agree you certainly need to limit the number of tracks you try & squeeze onto a CD-R though. I've found that trying to maximise the number of tracks leads to jumping and disc read errors.

I keep it down to 15 - 17 tracks or about 70 minutes music per CD.