Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Burning rubber??

Vr5l

Reaction score
Members Ride
wh statesman s2 5.7
Hey guys this may be a strange one but I have a wh statesman 5.7L and just after normal driving I can smell a burning rubber smell after I park and get out smells like I've been doing burnout when I haven't?? What could this be also something in the rear end squeaks like rubber on metal over small bumps but only when it's cold and I'm replacing shockies all round to shorter ones and lower springs this weekend so I might grease up all my bushes ect? Cheers in advance

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
May be the serpentine belt slipping.

Vr5l

Reaction score
Members Ride
wh statesman s2 5.7
Ahhh I didn't think about the belts slipping thanks mate will investigate this weekend

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Hey guys this may be a strange one but I have a wh statesman 5.7L and just after normal driving I can smell a burning rubber smell after I park and get out smells like I've been doing burnout when I haven't?? What could this be also something in the rear end squeaks like rubber on metal over small bumps but only when it's cold and I'm replacing shockies all round to shorter ones and lower springs this weekend so I might grease up all my bushes ect? Cheers in advance

might sound obvious but don't forget to get a wheel alignment after all the new suspension bits go in.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
The rubber pcv hose at the back of the motor melts and turns into goo, we are going to replace mine this weekend. **** design the hot oil vapor travelling through it just melts it. Just something to check.

Vr5l

Reaction score
Members Ride
wh statesman s2 5.7
Okay sweet I'll be sure to check that too thanks

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
The shaft seal on the air con pump can leak and cause the air con clutch to stay engaged so that the system keeps building up pressure until the drive belt slips.

gm1961

Reaction score
Hi All

Also not sure of your can, but most serpentine belts have at least one free wheel idler pulley, they need to be changed every so often 100-150k or when they are noisy or jamb up
But make sure your exhaust or radiator doe snot have a plastic shopping bag stuck on it

regards
george