Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Burning Smell from Engine

luke_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Accliam
G'Day,

I have recently encountered a burning smell coming from the engine area of my vs commodore. Have checked the oil and it is good. Having lifted the engine cover I have noticed they are pretty greasy around the top sides of the engine. Have been told a while ago from my mechanic that the rocker gaskets will need replacing soon and was wondering if that is the cause of the smell. Another mechanic told me it could be a leaking manifold and another told me it could be a leaking thermostat.

Basically, wondering if anybody knows what is the most likely problem here. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
It will usually be something either touching or leaking onto the exhaust manifolds as they are the only bit of the engine hot enough to smoke anything. My guess would be the rocker cover gaskets leaking and reaching the exhaust manifolds and then smoking.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Guess you really need to be able to identify what type of smell it is. Rubber, oil, plastic, electrical or perhaps insulation. Once you've figured that out then you can probably track down the source.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Probably oil from the rocker covers running down onto the exhaust. Have a look at the exhaust manifolds and rocker covers for oil leaks. It could also be underneath if your tranny leaks fluid onto the exhaust like mine has done..

luke_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Accliam
The smell comes usually after I drive it for more than 20 minutes, irrespective of whether I thrash it or not. I haven't noticed smoke, although if I do tramp it get a bit of extra smoke out of exhaust.

Regarding the smell, I initially thought it was coolant smell because my mechanic recently mentioned that the thermostat housing was leaking as there are coolant stains on the outside of it. Could be oil too, I'm no professional. Smells like hot engine X 10.

I was getting the smell in the cabin too, until i closed the air condition vents, now the smell is just outside/around the bonnet.

I took the car to another mechanic today and he asked me to come back tomorrow where he will hoist it and have a look under the car (suspecting - "tranny leaks fluid onto the exhaust"). Will let you know how it goes.

Alot of the problem described here are, "common problems", I guess what I am after is what is the most likely common problem here (216,000km on the clock), as I would really like to tell the mechanic, fix/repair this rather than letting them decide to take me round the long way like they have in the past.

luke_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Accliam
FYI - had the car hoisted today at the mechanics, the transmission housing and transmission oil cooler hoses were leaking down to the exhaust. Mechanic was adamant that was the problem. Had it fixed for $250. Will see how it goes.

Thanks for your responses, much appreciated.

pnk_rck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec
mate i had the same thing with my VR ..it was just a leak in the tappet cover gaskets spraying back onto the manifold. upper gasket kit = $50 ..problem solved.

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
FYI - had the car hoisted today at the mechanics, the transmission housing and transmission oil cooler hoses were leaking down to the exhaust. Mechanic was adamant that was the problem. Had it fixed for $250. Will see how it goes.

Thanks for your responses, much appreciated.
I know that smell, not plesent. Good thing u got it fixed because tranny fluid is flamable.