Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Burning smell from vents and outside car when AC running

paul0075

Reaction score
Members Ride
7/1997 VT Executive
Hi Guys,

The other day I got this weird smell in the cabin of my 97 VT 3.8L Commodore. It smelt like a cross between burnt plastic and a fresh cat ****.

I figured out it was coming thru the air vents when running the AC. Now today I have also noticed the smell outside the car from the engine bay.

The smell stops when the AC is off, and fan is on or off. The smell will start within 2 min of turning on the AC and happens at all speeds when driving or idling, and all speeds of the fan control

There's nothing visually showing up with the AC when you look around it, and there's no bearing noises from the unit either.

Car has 145 000 km on it.

I had a look at the other threads but none of them mention the smell outside the car.

Any ideas on what to look for?

Paul

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Hi Guys,

The other day I got this weird smell in the cabin of my 97 VT 3.8L Commodore. It smelt like a cross between burnt plastic and a fresh cat ****.

I figured out it was coming thru the air vents when running the AC. Now today I have also noticed the smell outside the car from the engine bay.

The smell stops when the AC is off, and fan is on or off. The smell will start within 2 min of turning on the AC and happens at all speeds when driving or idling, and all speeds of the fan control

There's nothing visually showing up with the AC when you look around it, and there's no bearing noises from the unit either.

Car has 145 000 km on it.

I had a look at the other threads but none of them mention the smell outside the car.

Any ideas on what to look for?

Paul

May be check if the belt is slipping. The tension/ idler pulley may have siezed and the belt is slipping on the pulley?

paul0075

Reaction score
Members Ride
7/1997 VT Executive
Have checked the pulleys and they're all working fine.

I decided to have a few tests with and without the AC.

First I ran the engine and interior fan without the AC running. No burning smell, inside or out.
Then I ran the engine and interior fan with the AC on. And had burning smell within a couple of minutes.

The smell seems to be strongest on left hand side of the car. I stuck my head in the engine bay best I could without taking my face off, and I get the feeling it might be the left hand fan. I was of the understanding the AC won't run without a complete cooling fan circuit, but the troubleshooter in me wants to unplug that fan and see whether I get the smell or not.

I suppose my question is, can I disconnect the fan and still run the AC for testing?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Don't see why not. Just pull the fuse. The engine shouldn't know if the fans are off until it over heats.
Or. Idle the car 'til the radiator fans come on, then turn the interior heater fan on (no A/C) and see if you get the smell.

paul0075

Reaction score
Members Ride
7/1997 VT Executive
Will give it a go after work tomorrow.

Today was checking pulleys and reassembling all the trim on and around my replacement drivers seat.