Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Burning smell from VXII Berlina post Plenum spacer installation

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
Lately when idling or with the AC on their is a distinct burning smell filtering into the cabin of my Ecotec VXII wagon, I'm unsure what. There was a build up of gunk on the K-frame pre-service, which my mechanic said was power-steering fluid and is now fixed. All my fluid levels are fine, although the oil was changed less than a week ago so I will monitor that. when I park the car fluid drops just behind the front wheels, however by appearance and smell it seems to be clear water, so I'm assuming that's unrelated. The only other symptom is steam/smoke coming out of the gap pictured below after driving, but I can't work out where it's coming from.

The only other thing I can think off is that a few days before all this I installed a MACE plenum spacer. Is there anyway this could have caused it? What about the gasket sealant used to install it? I really don't want to remove it if I don't have to, but if it's the cause I'll give it a go.

This isn't an attack on MACE, I love their products and can't wait to install my CAI, and I don't want to lose the improvements found by the spacer. I have posted this topic on the VX board, but am asking here for an answer specifically to the MACE part of the question.

27x2nn8.jpg

vyseriesII

The Blessed Hellride
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VyS S2 Blown
Not an exhaust manifold gasket gone is it? or rocker cover gasket leaking oil on to exhaust. Could be just coincidence?

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
The exhaust all looks pretty clean, as does the space under the rocker covers. The only muck I can see is stuff that is old. If the Oil starts to drop I'll go to the mechanics and get it up on a hoist. No oil leaking on the ground either.

MACE

Reaction score
Lately when idling or with the AC on their is a distinct burning smell filtering into the cabin of my Ecotec VXII wagon, I'm unsure what. There was a build up of gunk on the K-frame pre-service, which my mechanic said was power-steering fluid and is now fixed. All my fluid levels are fine, although the oil was changed less than a week ago so I will monitor that. when I park the car fluid drops just behind the front wheels, however by appearance and smell it seems to be clear water, so I'm assuming that's unrelated. The only other symptom is steam/smoke coming out of the gap pictured below after driving, but I can't work out where it's coming from.

The only other thing I can think off is that a few days before all this I installed a MACE plenum spacer. Is there anyway this could have caused it? What about the gasket sealant used to install it? I really don't want to remove it if I don't have to, but if it's the cause I'll give it a go.

This isn't an attack on MACE, I love their products and can't wait to install my CAI, and I don't want to lose the improvements found by the spacer. I have posted this topic on the VX board, but am asking here for an answer specifically to the MACE part of the question.

27x2nn8.jpg

Was the engine bay cleaned recently? My guess is that there may be residual oil/grime left on the exhaust system since it was cleaned (?)

Please keep us posted with this as we've genuinely never come across this before.

Kindest Regards,
Steve

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
The problem is all sorted. Transmission was leaking out the rear, but it was only leaking over the exhaust, so nothing hit the ground. Couldn't see the problem until the car was on a hoist.

I also put my CAI in yesterday and now there is almost a whistling noise coming through the left ac vents. It was after dark when I did the test driving though, so I'm sure I'll fix it easy today.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
I also put my CAI in yesterday and now there is almost a whistling noise coming through the left ac vents. It was after dark when I did the test driving though, so I'm sure I'll fix it easy today.

Probably intake noise

MACE

Reaction score
The problem is all sorted. Transmission was leaking out the rear, but it was only leaking over the exhaust, so nothing hit the ground. Couldn't see the problem until the car was on a hoist.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

“The problem is all sorted. Transmission was leaking out the rear, but it was only leaking over the exhaust, so nothing hit the ground. Couldn't see the problem until the car was on a hoist.”
Ah excellent to hear that the problem has now been sorted :)

“I also put my CAI in yesterday and now there is almost a whistling noise coming through the left ac vents. It was after dark when I did the test driving though, so I'm sure I'll fix it easy today.”
Assuming that the sound isn’t due to an unrelated item, it could be that the intake pipe tube (as supplied in the kit) may be inserted in too much into the supplied rubber hose or filer. The later would be harder to do as there is a clear step moulded in the neck of the filter to prevent this, but still a possibility depending on how the kit was installed.

To give you an idea as to how the kit should sound like installed, please refer to the youtube clip as shown in the link below.
Mace Engineering CAI Noise Roar !PLEASE READ DESCRIPTION! - YouTube

If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask

Kindest Regards,
Steve

Probably intake noise
It could be, however the noise could possibly related to something else.