Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

burnt out 3 subs in a week

vs-6

Raptorcharged VS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S pac V6
ok i redid my stereo last week, i had amps under the seat. i moved them into boot nice and neat out of the way and after i did that i went fro a drive and blew a 18 sony xplode sub (just a peice of **** but had been going alright for a while).
i am running a jaycar response amplifier at 500w rms at 4 ohms the other 2 subs i blew were pioneer subs rated at 400w rms at 4 ohms (dual 2 ohms coils bridged out correctly).
i got the second pioneer sub for nothing as i took it back to jb and they just replaced it as guy said it definatly should have been able to handle 500w rms long story short ive blown up 2 $180 subs and a $70 sub.
please any help im thinking that it may be my amp either putting out too much power or not putting out enough impedence.

arrow224

Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Recheck all cabling. Make sure all connections are of good quality. Power, earth, remote, even speaker cables.

Also recheck all your gains, possibly need to retune it.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Subs blow from too much heat... This is either caused by too much power or amplifier distortion (clipping).

I'd say you're just expecting too much from the subs and cooking them. JB shouldn't be replacing burnt subs, that just shows how retarded they are.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I'm probably gonna say gain set too high, kills subs.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Gain set high just means you have less range of volume on the head unit until the speaker is overpowered or amplifier is clipping.

You can have the gain on max and still use a head unit bass control to adjust the bass to correct levels. People just don't know when they've turned their sub up too far.

The user needs to know when to turn the volume back a notch.

west-side

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs statesman
the subs you are buying are peices of ****, no offence but.. sony xplod are hopless go for something that you know can handle a bit of extra power such as kicker or alpine type-Rs .
peace out

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
What type of subwoofer enclosure/s are you using, ported...sealed?

Its either clipping from the amp which is heating up your voice coils and burning them or if the box is ported then its tuned wrong.

Clipping from the amp can be caused by a few things:

* Volume / gain set too high, amp puts out a distorted signal and fries the sub.
* Power / Earth connections at the amp / battery are loose or making a poor connection, causing the amplifier to receive a lower voltage than normal and clipping the signal.
* Power / Earth cable to small (same outcome as above).

Check all your connections at the amp and battery, then check your earth connections at the amp and earthing location. Possibly get another sub and put a multimeter on the amps power / earth terminals, check the voltage as you turn the volume up.....should stay above 11.5v at all times (with the car running).

Its also possible your simply wanting more bass and have either cranked the gain to max and / or are turning the volume up too high. Maybe go into a car audio store and get them to set the gains properly when you get a new sub, if the outcome isnt what you want then buy a more powerful amp and get the new amp tuned.

vs-6

Raptorcharged VS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S pac V6
ok i know sony xplodes are **** i said this to start with and i have prevously found that alpine type r's are **** as ive had a 10"

gain was set to full on first 2 second pioneer sub was set 2 3rds and all of these were blown while bass boost was set on 1 or 2 out of 10 i like to be able to control everything from the head unit.

i have my battery in the boot and i am running 8guage cable to the amps direct its only like 1m 2m run at very most barely any volt drop in that and the cable should be able to handle up to about 60 amps

jb has done righty by me they are even going to replace again but i am going to spend an extra 50 bucks and go to a 500rms sub.

i am using a sealed box but the new one im getting will be in a box made for the sub.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
You're blowing your subs... Stop turning them up so far and they won't blow.