Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

burnt out 3 subs in a week

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Honestly, you could go with a 1000wrms sub and still blow it with 500wrms if you turn the gain or volume up too high and send the sub a clipped signal. When you get this new sub, get the installer at JB to set your gain properly.....Ive used plenty of those Jaycar amps and have found they dont power subs all that well, theyre great for powering speakers but fail for subs.

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Honestly, you could go with a 1000wrms sub and still blow it with 500wrms if you turn the gain or volume up too high and send the sub a clipped signal. When you get this new sub, get the installer at JB to set your gain properly.....Ive used plenty of those Jaycar amps and have found they dont power subs all that well, theyre great for powering speakers but fail for subs.

but it sounds so hectic with it cranked bro!

vs-6

Raptorcharged VS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S pac V6
ok so well jb just gave me my money in a voucher "jb youve done it again"
well yer i think im gonna get my amp checked out as the gain was on half and the guy rekons that it should have been ok still.
so yer i might just get amp cheked the buy a decent sub around 250 mark

holden boy
i have found you the most helpful about where should i have my gain and wat about bass boost. and you say response amps arent the best for bass why is this is there anything i can do to make them better ect i dunooo
and yer i may have just had gain and bass boost turned up too much but just to make sure im gonna get amp cheed out and yer shall let every1 know how i go

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Let me get this right, JB replaced your sub, not once, but twice, and then gave you a voucher on your 3rd visit?
Bend over JB HI FI lol

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Bass boost should be zero. Read: Tutorial - Amplifier Gain & Crossover Adjustment

You're not listening either, your gain can be low and you can still kill your sub if you turn the volume on the head unit up too high. The reason they blew would be because you just had them playing too loud.

Yeah, JB are morons. Ripping off the distributors because customers damage their own gear. I see this nearly every day and it's extremely frustrating when distributors are nearly going out of business. Which JB HiFi store is it?

Last edited:

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
^^^ Agreed with StoneX. It dosent matter where the gain is set, it is primarily a "tuning" tool so you can intergrate it with the rest of the system (so all speakers get to their maximum output at the same time on the head-unit volume).

Im not quite sure why the Response 2 x 150 dosent power subs well.....i think it has something to do with the frequency response of the amp and it has a dip in this response throughout some of the sub-bass frequencies, but dont quote me on that one ;)

As i said before, when you get your new sub......get a pro to tune the system for you, and let you know the maximum volume (on the h/u) you can turn it up to. If that output dosent meet your requirements, get a better (more powerful) amp. Simple as that.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Yeah, but they're not meant to do that... If a speaker is blown, they're meant to send it to the distributor to be assessed. They will determine if it's cooked (user error) or a manufacturing fault that has caused it to fail. They have the distributors by the balls and rip them off flat out.

Anyway, be careful with this one... Don't turn it up so loud and it probably won't blow :)