Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bush Mechanics Mod Question

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Why not get some sort of a cheap spa/pool pump, hook it up to a 240v inverter running off the ciggie lighter in the car and use it as forced induction? It's bush mechanics so it doesn't matter if it blows up :p

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
If i cut it at the back, im assuming you mean near the TB then how will i mount the pod on the outside of the bonnet? And what advantage will it have running a shorter air pipe?

Right angle from the TB and through the bonnet.

Shorter pipe = less surface area in engine bay to collect heat.

BradZ_VH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore ( Paddock Bomb)
Couple of dumb answers, but thats expected on a forum i guess.
Why do i need a filter? I am assuming its some sort of swipe at me, cause its a no brainer why a paddock bomb needs an air filter.

Spa pump? No, just no.

So, i cut a rough hole in the bonnet, ripped out the airbox and put a 180 degree bend pipe from the XF on, i realise 180 degrees isn't ideal but it is the best i had.

I must say, for a bush mechanics mod, it works pretty f-ing well! Very loud induction noise ( i like it a lot), whistles, and when you stab the throttle it sounds like the car is dosing haha. Even the engine note has changed quite a bit, the motor actually barks now when you give it the beans. Very pleased, and the pod was on special, so everyones happy.

EDIT: Just to add, air being sucked in does not hang around the piping system long enough to get significantly heated up.

As for the performance side of things, believe it or not it is a full second faster to 100 clicks, really wasn't expecting it to be that good. It was 9.6 ( shocking) now 8.6 which is slightly less shocking.

Will have to mess around with the placement a bit as the front of it is actually facing the back of the car, not ideal. Have since worked out a better setup, but it will require a new hole to be cut.
It is as follows, cut a hole directly on top of the TB, smash the 180 deg bend pipe on it and out the top, grab the stock 'l' shape plastic pipe and put it on, bam, pod is facing straight fowards.

Yes, i am aware someone mentioned this beforehand.