Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bushes Quote. Need HELP!!

Aaron6.93

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Calais L67
Hi so my dad took my 1992 VP Commodore exec to a mechanic for a road worthy and was knocked back because the following needed to be replaced:

Front caster rod bushes
Front top sway bar rubbers
Rear top control are bushes
Rear pan hard rod bushes
Rear sway bar o ring bushes
Front P/S lower control arm inner bush

All these were written in shocking hand writing but i think i have deciphered it all correctly.

The mechanic quoted $1800 for all the work and suggested that I buy a new car..... he then tried to sell my dad a shitty run down rusted vn he was selling. Something tells me he just wanted to shift the pile of crap out of his workshop.

So im asking anyone who has had this kind of work done what they paid and if you are a mechanic what would you do the work for?

I live in melbourne..... well, preston so if anyone could get me a good deal (including a RWC) let me know.

DERTY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL TURBO/ VS 5L STATO/ VP BT1 5L
i replaced most of that in mine and it cost like $300 and put all of it in my self. aslong as none of it doesnt need to be pressed in.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
And if they do need to be pressed in,its easier and cheaper to take the control arm or whatever off the car yourself, and take it into the mechanics and get them to press them in.Its cost me around $10 -$20 to get this done before.If you buy new bushes like the nolothane type, which are made from urethane,not rubber,they dont need to be pressed back in,the nolothane bushes come in two pieces,which makes it way easier to fit them.The only nolothane ones that I found that need to be pressed in was the rear lower control arm back bushes,these actually go into the diff housing,not into the rear lower control arm like the rear lower control arm front bushes do.Mate, dont go paying that price,its a rip off,just get a gregorys workshop manual,follow it and remove the control arms etc yourself and take them in to get the bushes pressed in that way.Dont take them to the same place either that gave you that quote.It will cost you probably $300 or thereabouts if you do most of it yourself, removing and refitting the control arms etc ,nowhere near the price of that quote though,bugger paying that much.

Last edited: