Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

busted gearbox in vr wagon

minimefx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon, vx executive
i back out the inlaws driveway this morning, put it into drive and heard a bang. the car didn't move, as i xlr8ed the gearbox has major slip like its taking off in second and slowly starts to move. got up to 80km/hr and still has not changed gear. pulled into my driveway a couple of streats away, i stopped the car and went to move again.same thing major slip like it stuck in 2nd then slowly moves as the revs get higher.pit it into reverse and car don't move. put it in park and turned the motor off and the car jolts as if it was trying to drive in park. checked error codes and got 12,24,31 and 48. tossing up if i should try and get a second hand 4hdd to replace mine or sell the whole car as is.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Sound like the car has gone into Limp Home Mode - and that the sun shell has gone in the transmission which means another box. Boxes from wreckers go for $400 upwards so it's your choice.
Good Luck.

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
Just so you know about prices i got a 4HDD from the wreckers for $330 but it had 300,000km on it but the second cheapest wreckers was $550 and that was for a transmission with anywhere between 180,000km and 300,00km. But search around for private sellers i got a 4HDD trans and motor (blown head gasket but im gonna rebuild it anyway) with 160,000km on them for $200!

minimefx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon, vx executive
thanks for the info guys. i am going to look around for another box because i miss driving it already.

pursuit_special

Legal Expert
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 1996 Series 1
I would suggest buying a shitty 500 dollar gemini in the meantime, getting a good second hand box and commit yourself to replacing it yourself or with some mechanical friends. it's not that hard if you remove if u you have the right parts and knowledge, and can be rewarding!

vr piggy bank

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute s pack
hey mate picked a second hand box up for five fifty but they also gave me three months warranty