Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Button will not activate central locking. How to fix.

nomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina wagon.
I know this works for the VR series, but could also work for others.

You press the button on the key head to either lock or unlock your car & it doesn't work. What to do & why did it happen?

What to do: Firstly, if you are wanting to unlock the car & it's fitted with the factory alarm, unlock the door manually with the key, open the door & quickly put the key in the ignition & turn it on. This will deactivate the alarm.

With the key in the ignition, turn it so the dash lights are on but don't start the engine. Now press the button on the key head for 3 or 4 seconds.

Release the button, turn the ignition off & remove the key. Now see if it locks the doors. You might have to do the button pressing operation a couple of times for it to reset the code.

Why did it happen: According to the mechanic at my local Holden dealer, it is caused by driving through a strong electrical field. What it does is scramble the rolling code. When it happens, it ends up the same as me using my key to unlock your car. The codes are not the same so my key won't unlock your car.

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
when my key wasn't responding to anything, holden charged me 450$ :thumbsup: ... lol

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
the cost depends entirely on what was faulty
if putting the key in fixes it all well & good but its not common on early ones.
Christina, it sounds like your BCM failed by the cost of that.

Rob

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
the cost depends entirely on what was faulty
if putting the key in fixes it all well & good but its not common on early ones.
Christina, it sounds like your BCM failed by the cost of that.

Rob

ha ha yeah it was :p (just trying 2 be funny.. didnt work lol)

Biggestduster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
Great advice, works on Rodeo too!

I know this works for the VR series, but could also work for others.

You press the button on the key head to either lock or unlock your car & it doesn't work. What to do & why did it happen?

What to do: Firstly, if you are wanting to unlock the car & it's fitted with the factory alarm, unlock the door manually with the key, open the door & quickly put the key in the ignition & turn it on. This will deactivate the alarm.

With the key in the ignition, turn it so the dash lights are on but don't start the engine. Now press the button on the key head for 3 or 4 seconds.

Release the button, turn the ignition off & remove the key. Now see if it locks the doors. You might have to do the button pressing operation a couple of times for it to reset the code.

Why did it happen: According to the mechanic at my local Holden dealer, it is caused by driving through a strong electrical field. What it does is scramble the rolling code. When it happens, it ends up the same as me using my key to unlock your car. The codes are not the same so my key won't unlock your car.

Great advice, I also have a 2003 Holden Rodeo, went in today after the central locking stopped working, put in new battery, still nothing, went to Holden Dealer at Midland WA. Advice was $230.00 for a new remote, plus between $150.00 to $300.00 to re set it dependent on the problem .... The answer was simple. I went home, read your advice, tried it and WHALLAH, it works a treat, and the cost ... ZIPPO.

Thanks kindly,

Biggetsduster!

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
I tried all this. I had to with the VR, Turn off the Security, Disconnect the battery, reset the system. Turn the security back on. Jump in the car, lock the doors, start the car, let it idle for a min +, then turn off the car, pull the keys out, wait till the security light flashes, Then it worked, Then after 2 weeks it failed again. any ideas? Just to note, i can randomly open the boot with the key but not the doors.

lukeyvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8 Commodore Berlina
Hey there, this exact same thing happened to me this morning so I thought I'd google it before I started ripping things apart haha. Thanks so much for this information, worked 2nd time of trying it. Life saver mate, Luke NZ

ryanorman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Holden V8 Calais 5.7
I know this post is old but, I Became a Member on here just to say thanks a tonne! Honestly started freaking out when the remote wasn't working because every time in the past with other cars I had always been charged through the nose to get it fixed $200-$600 in the past.

Thanks again for this simple fix.

This worked on a 2003 Holden Calais V8 5.7

Cheers you are a LEGEND!

theviking

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ll 04 Wagon
you are a dead set legend!!! thanks a million mate, you saved my day, weekend, regards Dan

harold11

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
I have a problem with my 2004 VY. Twice this year my (new) remote keys would not work and it also dead locked me out so I couldn't use the key manually. I press the key for about 40 seconds and it will work again - any answers?